Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Death of Alice Cashmore nee Nathan- The Age (Melbourne) Friday 18 April 1873
    "An old colonist, Mrs Alice Cashmore aged seventy seven years, mother of Michael Cashmore of Melbourne, was buried in the Jewish portion of the Geelong General Cemetery."

Phillip

The following records are for the death of Isaac Crawcour and his wife Esther Cashmore- Australian Death Index Isaac Crawcour b abt 1815 age 71 died 1886 Geelong Victoria father David; mother Amelia BARNES
    Jewish Gen online Worldwide Burial Registry Isaac Crawcour Yitzhak ben David 24 Tishri 5647 age 70 Section A Row A Plot 13,1 Geelong father David

Esther Crawcour b abt 1816 age 67 Geelong Victoria 1883 father Joseph Cashmore mother Alice Nathan
    Esther Crawcour Esther bat Yosef Death 23 Kislev 5644 age 67 Section A Row A Plot 14,1 father Yosef Geelong Eastern Cemetery

Phillip

The following are newspaper and probate relating to Edwin Moses Crawcour 1856-1923 and his wife Fanny Tryphinia Alexander 1860-1939:
    Marriage- At the Town Hall Prahran...Edwin M Crawcour of Maryborough youngest son of Mr I Crawcour of Geelong, to Fanny Tryphinia, eldest daughter of Mr M A Alexander, Rougemont King Street Prahran The Argus ( Melbourne) Thursday 19 August 1880

Deaths-
    JewishGen Worldwide Online Burial Registry
    Edwin A Crawcour
    Moshe ben Yitzhak b abt 1856
    Death 26 Jan 1923-9 Shevat 5683 Age 67
    Section C, Row C, Plot 116,1
    father's name Yitzhak
    Melbourne General Cemetery

Birth- Moses Edwin Crawcour b abt 1855 East Melbourne Victoria -parents Isaac Crawcour; Esther Cashmore- Australian Birth Index

Death-
    The Hebrew Standard of Australasia ( Sydney NSW) Thursday 13 July 1939
    Death July 11 at her residence Kooyong Road Armadale Victoria, Mrs Fanny Crawcour aged 79. She leaves a son and two daughters Stella, Edith (Deceased), May and Sydney.... sister of Rose( Mrs Joseph), Lizzie (Miss Alexander), Sarah (Mrs Barnett), Miriam (Mrs Joachim)

Death- The Hebrew Standard of Australasia (Sydney) NSW Friday 2 Feb 1923
    "The death took place of Mr Edwin Crawcour at his residence "Esmet" Mathoura Road Toorah. The deceased was 67 years of age and had been failing in health for a long time. There are surviving a widow, a son (Dr Sydney Crawcour) and daughters Mrs H I Myers of Sydney NSW, Mrs D Mendelsohn and Miss Edith Crawcour. Messrs Samuel, Michael and Leon Crawcour of Melbourne are brothers of the deceased gentleman. The deceased was at one time president of the Melbourne Jewish Mutual Benevolent Society and also did good work as a Member of the Richmond Municipal Council."
    The Argus ( Melbourne) Wed 31 Jan 1923 also referred to Edwin dying after a long illness of nearly 9 years and being the Mayor of Richmond in 1903.

The Will of Edwin Moses Crawcour in 1923 included 2 Codicils-39 Mathoura Road Toorak - he left bequests to his wife, children and grandchildren and an annuity to his brother. His assets were £33,986-real estate £5302; personal estate £28,684
    On her death in 1939 Fanny Crawcour left £3308

Phillip

I enclose further data on Edwin Crawcour, his wife and children:
    Australia Birth Index
    Fanny Tryphenia Alexander b abt 1860 M...Victoria-father Moses Alexander Alexander;mother Eliza Davidson
    JewishGen online Worldwide Burial Registry
    Fanny Tryphenia Crawcour -Feiga bat b abt 1860 Death 11 July 1939/24 Tammuz 5699 Age 79 Section C, Row C Plot 117,1 Melbourne General Cemetery
    Tombstone
    "In loving memory of Edwin beloved husband of Fanny T Crawcour loved father of Stella,Edith,May and Sydney Died 26 January 1923-5683 also Fanny Tryphenia devoted wife of above died 11 July 1939. In loving memory of Edith Leah beloved daughter of above lost at sea 3 August 1930-5690"

The Death of Edith Leah Crawcour at sea featured in a large number of Australian newspapers including a Marine enquiry.
    In summary, Edith Leah was taking a holiday at sea on the steamer Nieuw Holland with her cousin Miss Aisley Leah Alexander. They shared a cabin and Edith disappeared from the ship early on a Sunday morning down coast from Brisbane. Edith was 45 years old and her cousin said that she had "always been delicate and ..became ill and appeared very nervy." A doctor on board had given Edith a mild sedative to help her sleep and the enquiry heard that she had stated "that if she could not sleep she would go mad."
    There was no definitive answer to what had happened to Edith and her death at sea.
    Phillip

Edwin Crawcour and his wife Fanny Alexander had 3 stillborn children in addition to the surviving children. The dates for the dead children appear in several Australian Newspapers- 3 Jan 1882 a stillborn son; Dec 1889 a still born daughter; July 1897 a still born daughter.

Weddings-
    Synagogue St Kilda Jewish Herald Friday 25 Sept 1914
    Dr David Mendelsohn of Northcote eldest son of the late Mr A Mendelsohn and Mrs Mendelsohn,"Ardmah" High Street St.Kilda to Miss May Crawcour daughter of Mr and Mrs Edwin Crawcour "Esmet" Mathoura Road Toorak. Details of the wedding included Miss Nancy Meyers niece of the bride; bridesmaids Miss Edith Crawcour sister of bride; Miss Janie Cohen cousin of the bridegroom; Mr M Mendelsohn best man; Mr Sydney Crawcour and Mr Harry Mendelsohn grooms; Mrs H I Meyers sister of the bride

Phillip

Default HENRY HERBERT ISAAC MEYERS-EDITH S CRAWCOUR

In a much earlier thread on the Crawcour -Surgeon Dentists I posted research which referred to the MALLAN and MEYERS surgeon dentists. At the time, I had done limited research into the Crawcour Australian lines relying on work undertaken by one of my Australian distant Crawcour cousins. Having undertaken a lot more research into the Australian Crawcour lines I noted that Stella Crawcour daughter of Edwin Crawcour and Fanny Tryphinia Alexander had married Henry Herbert Isaac Meyers aka Harry Isaac Meyers. Henry aka Harry was born 10 Dec 1872 and died 20 March 1947.
    He was the son of Solomon Meyers surgeon dentist and Adelaide Eve Mallan. See Synagogue Scribes Marriages-GSM2 126/83 Adelaide MALLAN Hebrew name Chava-father Shlomeh- Solomon MEYERS father Meir 24 Sept 1851. See also Cemetery Scribes for burial and other data on the Mallan and Meyers.
    The father of Adelaide Mallan was Edward Mallan surgeon dentist 1806-1866- see The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-1870-transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,2004 Pub Robert Boyd -Death Edward MALLAN 12.2.1866 after a long and severe illness late of 111 Sloane Street...his wife Miriam died at the same address on 11.3.1865.
    MARRIAGE-The Hebrew Standard of Australasia Friday 28 Sept 1906
    Mr Harry H MEYERS, youngest son of the late Solomon Meyers, Adelaide and Miss Stella CRAWCOUR, eldest daughter of of Councillor Edwin Crawcour.. bridesmaids Misses Edith and May Crawcour (the sisters) and Miss Edith Meyers (niece of the bridegroom) best man Mr Henry I Crawcour (Geelong)

Phillip

Default HARRY ISAAC MEYERS-ESTHER STELLA CRAWCOUR

In the last post I referred to Stella Crawcour as Edith Stella. This was an error - she was Esther Stella Crawcour b 1883 Maryborough Victoria father Edwin Crawcour mother Fanny Alexander. Here is data on the Burial Records for Henry Isaac aka Harry Meyers
    Findagrave
    Stella Esther Meyers Death March 15 1955 Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park Matraville Randwick City NSW Plot Jubilee Walls Wall A, Position 19

Harry Isaac Meyers Death 20 March 1947 Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park Matraville Randwick NSW Plot Court of Memories Columbarium Niche Wall D Position 22

Phillip

Data on Dr Sydney Crawcour son of Edwin Crawcour and Fanny Alexander:
    Australia Birth Index Isaac Sydney Crawcour 1894 Richmond Victoria Parents Edwin Moses Crawcour;Fanny Alexander
    Marriage 13 March 1924 at Melbourne Synagogue.. Sydney only son of Mrs F T Crawcour and the late Edwin Crawcour, Toorak to Mill daughter of Mr and Mrs Albert Coppel, Toorak
    19th Nov 1918 Legally qualified Medical Practitioners Sydney Crawcour "Esmet" Mathoura Road Toorak M.B et Ch.B Melb 1918
    Australia Death Index -Sydney Crawcour b 1894 Age 75 died Heidelberg Victoria 1969 Parents Moses Crawcour; Fanny Tryphenia Alexander
    Sarah Amelia Coppel b 25 August 1902 Prahran Melbourne Victoria Death 13 Nov 1980 Malvern
    Parents Albert Abraham Coppel 1872-1950; Alice Abraham 1867-1942
    The Argus ( Melbourne) Tue 8 Dec 1942
    0n Dec 7, at her home 27 Mercer Road Malvern, Alice beloved wife of Albert Coppel, mother of E G (Bill), Bec ( Mrs E G Ellenberg), Syd and Mill ( Mrs Sydney Crawcour) No mourning. Privately cremated Dec 7

Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    This thread provides data on Isaac Crawcour 1815-1886 and Esther Cashmore 1816-1883. Isaac Crawcour was the son of David Crawcour and Amelia Barnes. My interest in Isaac is because he is a son of David Crawcour my 4 x great grandfather and I have been researching and posting on the Crawcour lines for some years. The publication of new records has also provided additional data on Isaac.
    Isaac moved from the UK to Australia. I will post data on Isaac and his children.
    At the time of his death on 23 October 1886 Isaac was living in Geelong Victoria. His will records: Isaac Crawcour Financier and his trustees Joseph Crawcour Geelong West Victoria financier;David Crawcour Geelong financier; Sydney Abraham Ballarat financier. Value of property £8118 14s. The Probate records show that Isaac had considerable property including bank accounts; monies lent on a range of mortgages and shares.
    In his will, Isaac left bequests to - his eldest son Joseph Crawcour including an oil painting of himself and his late wife Esther;granddaughter Esther Lawrence (daughter of Philip Lawrence of Sydney NSW) £200 to be invested until the age of 21 years; Morris Crawcour his brother Brunswick Place City Road London England Gentleman £200;Treasurer of St Augustine's Orphanage Geelong (Roman Catholic) £10-10s; Treasurer Protestant Orphanage Geelong £10-10s;Treasurer Jewish Philanthropic Society Melbourne £25;Sons Samuel Crawcour Elizabeth Street Melbourne financier £500; Michael Crawcour Williamstown financier £500;Trustees £25 each;Real estate and monies to be divided into proportions of one seventh and paid to sons Joseph; Isaac;David;daughter Rebecca Abraham wife of Sydney Abraham; Alice Nyberg daughter wdow Geelong; Edwin son Marborough Victoria financier; son Leon of Castlemaine financier.
    The above form a summary of the will.
    I will post further.
    Phillip
    Hi Phillip,
    Hello from Australia. I have enjoyed reading your research. I am Esther Crawcour nee Cashmore's great great great granddaughter. In fact, I have the oil painting bequeathed to her firstborn Joseph! I've always wondered where Isaac may be hanging!! Trying to establish when the Joseph arrived in Australia. Did he come prior to his parents or with them?

Good to hear from you Annette. Dr David Cohen in his family research 'Samuel Crawcour and his descendants' said that Joseph had originally intended to search for gold in California but changed his mind when gold was discovered in Victoria.He arrived in Victoria in 1849 and was living in Geelong by 1852.
    There is a record of a Joseph Crawcour leaving San Francisco to Sydney 3 February 1870. He is recorded as a labourer ( generic term).
    I have a copy of the portraits of Isaac and Esther.
    I will post more on Joseph.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast