Question RASC 53rd Troop Carrying Company

This is new territory for me. I am more used to researching the history of bus operations and operators!

My uncle (Gordon Herbert Cheeseman T 10698126) who died last year was one of those who rarely talked about his war time experiences. His son has asked me to see what I can find out and with his authorisation I have obtained his service record documentation.

This shows that after initial training he was posted in Oct 1942 to what became the 53 Troop Carrying Company in Feb 1943. The following entry in May 1944 is poorly written 'Now 53 Lipper'? Then embarcation from UK on 11 July 1944 (to Normandy). After that there is nothing until 1946 when he appears to have been transferred to BAOR. Though due to illness he was discharged in April 1947 with what looks like a cancelled promotion!.

He did talk of the awful dust and stench of Caen and also of transporting American soldiers as far as Belgium.

Can I find out any more? Is there a company 'war diary' that I could see or are copies available - possibly at the IWM RASC Museum?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    The National Arcives site has war diaries so this guide may be of help.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs