Thread: Marriage 1783

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Marriage 1783

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me knock down a brick wall please! My 3x great grandfather William Emmott married Ann(e) Roper at Holy Trinity Church, Skipton on 25th November 1783. What I am trying to establish is whether Williams' parents are William and Grace Emmott or George and Elleanor Emmott.

I did wonder if the marriage might have been covered in a local newspaper but don't know which ones were around in those days. Does anyone have any bright ideas please?

Thanks.

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Sue, and welcome.

I'm researching Emmotts in that area too, and apart from one brickwall where I can't find any parents (see below), I agree that the many families take a lot of sorting out.

I haven't checked the original registers, but I have some transcripts for that area, in which your Skipton marriage has William as a labourer of Silsden. Looking at the transcript for Silsden, this has William son of George and Elleanor bapt 17 Jun 1756. The other possibility you mention, I presume, is one that I've found in Kildwick - 26 Apr 1761, with William the father being a comber of Sutton.

Having said all that, I've just checked a different transcript, and that also offers William son of Elleanor in Silsden on 19 Feb 1757. This doesn't appear in the other transcript, so looking at the original would seem to be essential.

I did wonder if there might be any burials or marriages which would help to exclude any of these Williams from the Skipton marriage, but no such luck. In fact it gets worse: there were no less than 6 William Emmott marriages in Kildwick between 1779 and 1790, one of whom was from Silsden, and another from Silsden Moor.

On a brighter note, have you looked at the Wharfegen site - www.
    wharfegen.org.uk
    This has lots of register transcripts for that area, with the people concerned sorted into families. It suggests that your William was the one baptised in Silsden in 1756, and offers 3 children - Thomas 1784, Mary 1786 and Alice 1789. They were apparently all baptised in Kildwick, but with a residence of Silsden Moor. Going back to the William from Silsden Moor who married in Kildwick - this was in 1790 and he was a widower, so possibly the same one...? (But don't take this as definite as there seem to have been other Williams on Silsden Moor, and in a quick look I haven't spotted a burial for Ann.)

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit, though I have to confess it leaves me feeling that there doesn't seem to be any conclusive proof, and possibly still more questions than answers.

Finally, briefly, my Emmott brickwall, just in case you've come across anything to break it down. John Stow (here and in a few other places recorded as Stowel) married Ellen/Eleanor Emmott in Kildwick in 1786. Both were of Sutton in Craven, and she was a minor. Her age at death puts her birth in about 1768, but I haven't found any sign of a birth or baptism. Have you seen her? I have a website with a bit more on her and some of my thinking - click my name next to this post and in the dropdown Visit Homepage. On my site you can find her via the name index or the Stow family charts, and the article about her is also listed under Miscellany.

Arthur

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Arthur. Thank you again for all of this. I have just heard back from someone via Ancestry who tells me that the William born in 1761 is part of her family tree and from the info she has given me, it rules him out as being "my" William. I will keep in mind your Ellen/Eleanor and let you know if I find out anything about her although it does sound as though you have access to more sources than me!

Sue

Glad you're getting somewhere - let me know if you'd like me to check anything else.

Twins Sarah and Ellen Emmet (as transcribed by FMP) were baptised 31 July 1769 at Holy Trinity, Skipton, parents Wm, labourer and Ann. Closest I can spot. The original image is a single "t" but I cannot determine if it could be an "o" rather than "e" ie. Emmot (suspect "e" is correct!).

Had a look at the 1786 marriage record but witness names do not contribute. The banns and marriage were under the name Eleanor. John was a Stow under banns and Stowel on marriage.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Twins Sarah and Ellen Emmet (as transcribed by FMP) were baptised 31 July 1769 at Holy Trinity, Skipton, parents Wm, labourer and Ann. Closest I can spot. The original image is a single "t" but I cannot determine if it could be an "o" rather than "e" ie. Emmot (suspect "e" is correct!).
    Thanks for this - the surname spelling is fairly variable, as are Ellen/Eleanor (and being Yorkshire, Hel(l)en can't be ruled out) so I've never been too attached to one particular variant. However, this one isn't mine, as she died in 1772 (buried 11 Feb). This William and Ann also had an earlier Ellen/Eleanor, born 1759 and buried 1762.

Had a look at the 1786 marriage record but witness names do not contribute.
    Actually, they might, or at least that is one of my conjectures - the article that I referred to on my website touches on this. Briefly, one of the John Crosleys who witnessed the marriage appears to have been the parish clerk, as he signed nearly every entry. Based on a comparison of signatures, the other one might be the one who married a Mary Emmott in 1782, so I wondered if Ellen might be Mary's sister. I've mentioned a possible origin for Mary in that article, though looking again, I think there may be other possibilities too.

The banns and marriage were under the name Eleanor. John was a Stow under banns and Stowel on marriage.
    I knew there were some Kildwick banns online, but haven't managed to find them for this marriage. Could you tell me how to find them, please? (I have a FMP sub, and I'm assuming that's where they are.)

The Stow/Stowel question is a bit puzzling. It seems that for a time there was some fluidity, although historically the name was always Stow. One branch of the family went to another parish and became Stowel(l), and my line used Stowel for a bit too. John Stow and Ellen Emmott had 12 children and the baptism entries are quite full and informative, so even though some of them are recorded as Stow and some as Stowel, there's no doubt it's the same family.

Going back to Ellen's origins, I've been trying to come up with other possibilities, such as:
    (a) she was born with a different surname, her father died, her mother remarried, and Emmott is her stepfather's name; fortunately there aren't that many Ellens around.
    (b) the names got mixed up in the baptism register: there were two occasions in about 1765-1770 when an Eleanor and an Emmott were baptised on the same day, so it could be worth trying to track the children further.
    (c) I know people moved around a bit, but around that time the only marriages I've found for Emmotts from Sutton in Craven were my Ellen, Mary in 1782, and a James later in 1786 - the others were from other parts of the parish. It may be worth looking into the possibility of a connection between them.

I think that's all I can add for now, but thanks for your interest.

Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I knew there were some Kildwick banns online, but haven't managed to find them for this marriage. Could you tell me how to find them, please? (I have a FMP sub, and I'm assuming that's where they are.)
    Don't worry about this bit - I've now managed to find them. FMP have them indexed under Kildale, so you don't find them if you specify Kildwick. I've reported it.