Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Tracing Long Lost Family

Trying to locate information, history, records, names, addresses just about anything of my late uncle, John William Taylor.
    Born 12/05/1921 West Hartlepool
    Married 1947 to Jane(?)
    Daughter 1954 Sandra.
    May have served in Far East, possibly Hong Kong.
    Anything at all, howsoever insignificant it may seem, please get back to me.

Thanks FWR
    John.

Sorry, this isn't FWR. Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum...

You will find your questions about the relationship between BG and FWR (summarized as together-apart) if you click HERE.

Your best bet, regarding service information, would be to buy a copy of his service record - the MOD has not released WW2 records for general publication yet. You'll need a copy of his death certificate, 30 pounds and a bit of patience. It took about 3 months to get my Dad's. Click HERE for a message about how/where/etc.

Since he was your Uncle, I assume that you know the names of his parents and siblings? Tracing the family backwards should be reasonably simple for the first 100 years or so. You start with birth, marriage and death certificates (usually known as BMDs) and the census (which starts with the 1911). We have a lot of helpful members here, as well.

Take note that we don't allow details about people who are (potentially) alive to be published on the open forum, but people can swap such data via the personal message (pm) system.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you confirmed the date of birth with a birth certificate?

I would search for his death first of all. You describe him as your late uncle so must know that he's dead. As Lesley says, you will in any case need the death certificate to send to MoD.

Hi
    Is yours the very detailed and well sourced tree on ancestry under the name nj52cxv?
    The marriage in 1947 William J Taylor to Jane ? took place in Hong Kong? Findmypast isn't giving me a result for this in their British Overseas Marriage record set.
    This link may be helpful re obtaining a marriage and death certificate.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thumbs up

Hi
    Yes, mine is the detailed tree you mention.
    The marriage is information from my cousin, their daughter Sandra. However, we're not entirely sure if Jane was her mother's real name!
    Sadly, even though I'm aware of marriage and death years, I'm not entirely sure of locations for both.
    But...thanks to you all for you're invaluable help, thus far. It's given me direction to, hopefully, progress.
    John
    Last edited by rolyatnohj; 06-05-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: additions