Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    DianaCanada

Yes this is Alfred's first offense. What a piece of work he was! The Olive is not connected to my Olivers, just a coincidence. My mother was an Oliver, born in Heathfield.

My query to the Maidstone register office has been passed on to the appropriate person, and hoping they will have Hannah Burchett in their indexes.

DianaCanada

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this query. Hopefully I will trace Hannah's death certificate.
    I have traced the two daughters Alfred had with Haanah, but not her daughter Louisa, the victim of the assault.

DianaCanada

I have done a little more digging on this and have come to a possible (bizarre) conclusion that Alfred Samuel Burchett and his step daughter may have actually ended up living together, either married (not in England/Wales) or common law. I found an Alfred Burchett in Armagh, Ireland on the 1911 census which can be seen here:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000398136/

It looks like his wife is Louise or Louisa, although the index lists her as Lanie.
    In 1911 England census I find an Alfred and Louise/Louisa living in Basildon, Essex. Their birth places match, as does the age for Louisa (born Louisa Dumbrill Oliver), although Alfred's age was off. There are only 2 or 3 Louisas born in Warbleton, Sussex around that time, so will double check those. The handwriting on both entries is awfully similar, too.

In 1939 Register I found a Louisa Birchitt (took me a while due to spelling error) in Chipping Norton. Her birthdate is given there, which matches Louisa Dumbrill Oliver Q registration in Sussex in \Dec Q 1969. This Louisa appears to have died in 1947.
    It is possible that Alfred and Louisa married in N Ire after he left prison.
    I think the only way of really finding out more is to get Louisa's birth certificate and see if it matches the birth date given on 1939 Register.

have done a little more digging on this and have come to a possible (bizarre) conclusion that Alfred Samuel Burchett and his step daughter may have actually ended up living together,
    I came to this conclusion in my post #29 but thought I would let you absorb the information first. Some people get upset at some discoveries made whilst researching their families. There was no legal reason for them not to marry when Louisa was of age. However like you I couldn't find a marriage in England/Wales and the only marriage for a Louisa Oliver on Irish Genealogy.ie 1880-1900 is to a Jackson Young in Armagh in 1893 so possibly no actual marriage took place.

I would say there is an exceptionally goodchance this is Louisa/e in 1939 as her birth was registered in the Dec 1/4 which would fit a birth date of 16 Sept because people had 6 weeks in which to register their child's birth.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

DianaCanada

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I came to this conclusion in my post #29 but thought I would let you absorb the information first. Some people get upset at some discoveries made whilst researching their families. There was no legal reason for them not to marry when Louisa was of age. However like you I couldn't find a marriage in England/Wales and the only marriage for a Louisa Oliver on Irish Genealogy.ie 1880-1900 is to a Jackson Young in Armagh in 1893 so possibly no actual marriage took place.
    Christina
    Sorry, Christina, I obviously didn't read all of your post (29). So, a belated thank you.
    I am not upset, just surprised that it looks like they ended up together. Poor Louisa, though, her life was probably not wonderful.
    I have been gathering this information for a Burchett descendant as well as those of us on the Oliver side; he might find it a little upsetting.
    Will have to get Louisa's birth certificate to prove it...ahhh, genealogy...hard to resist finding answers to those niggling puzzles!

Hi
    I don't know about Louisa's early life but she and Alfred could have had a very happy relationship when they lived together. As you say it is "hard to resist finding answers to those niggling puzzles!" Now I am starting to wonder if they kept in touch with members of their families. Was the relationship accepted or did they themselves choose to distance themselves from family.
    I'd better get my mind back on track to stuff that needs to be done rather than writing a novel in my head about a girl who has no connection to my family whatsoever.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

DianaCanada

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I don't know about Louisa's early life but she and Alfred could have had a very happy relationship when they lived together. As you say it is "hard to resist finding answers to those niggling puzzles!" Now I am starting to wonder if they kept in touch with members of their families. Was the relationship accepted or did they themselves choose to distance themselves from family.
    I'd better get my mind back on track to stuff that needs to be done rather than writing a novel in my head about a girl who has no connection to my family whatsoever.
    Christina
    Louisa was illegitimate and lost her mother at a young age, maybe Alfred represented some kind of family to her. I wonder what happened to her and her two younger half-sisters immediately after Alfred went to jail. The Oliver family scattered all over - only my great grandfather remained in Heathfield, Sussex.
    I have found Louisa's sisters in the 1891, if memory serves they were both in service by then.
    Your last comment made me laugh - family historians are all storytellers at heart!

DianaCanada

Just updating this thread re Louisa Dumbrill Oliver. I have received her birth certicate and her birthdate of 16 Sep 1869 matches the one for Louisa/Louise Burchitt (sic) living in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire in 1939. It does appear that she married or was in a common law relationship with the man who was convicted of raping her when she was 13 and they appear together in Ireland in 1901 and in Essex in 1911, and she is the informant on his death.

Have had no luck finding her in the 1891 census when Alfred Samuel Burchett was still in prison.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234