Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DianaCanada

Default Death, but no listing in indexes

For years I wondered what happened to my ancestor's sister and recently came across a newspaper article that mentioned she had died the year previously. When I rechecked the indexes, she was not listed there. Would appreciate any suggestions on tracking it down.

Growing old Disgracefully

post the information you have so we can have a look for you

DianaCanada

Her name was Hannah Burchett and she would have died around 1881-3, giving a little extra leeway to the newspaper statement. Her maiden name was Oliver.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Does the newspaper article say where she died?

The reason for asking is that deaths are registered where the person died and not where they lived. This can often lead to problems for people trying to trace deaths. For instance my mother lived in North Wales but died in London, and that is where her death is registered.

If she died away from home then there may have been some spelling errors in how her name was recorded because whoever registered may not have been familiar with it.

How old was she?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The 1881 census gives me six Hannah Burchetts, so how about a little more information about her?
    Which one is she in 1881? The one living in Heathfield, Wrotham, Hastings, Brighton, Hawkhurst or Mayfield?
    What is the date of the newspaper article, and exactly what did it say?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

DianaCanada

She is the one in Hawkhurst, Kent.
    The problem is that now I can't find the article on BNArchives. I read it about a month ago. It was about her widower's conviction for the rape of her daughter Louisa. He got 20 years and died in 1922. His name was Alfred Samuel Burchett. The article stated (1883, probably July or August) that the girl's mother had died "the year previously". I found his sentencing record on FMP, a photo of him as well.

DianaCanada

Sorry, forgot to add he was tried at Cranbrook, Kent in July 1883.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

The article says 'the poor girls mother had died, whilst the prisoner, unknown to her, was carrying on his misconduct..

Mrs P

DianaCanada

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    The article says 'the poor girls mother had died, whilst the prisoner, unknown to her, was carrying on his misconduct..

Mrs P
    Thank you, Mrs P! How did you find the article?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

He was arrested on 13 June 1883, and tried and sentenced at Maidstone on 19 July 1883.

Like Diana, I can't find any reference in a newspaper report about Louisa's mother dying the previous year. All I can find are 'reports' that say Alfred is due for trial on a charge of assault.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast