Smile Birth records from Cape Town, South Africa

Have found out that my g/great grandfather William Douglas McPherson BRICE who was born 'at sea' on a voyage from London to Cape of Good Hope, South Africa possibly 8 May 1853. I have located information re his baptism through Ancestry.com showing location of the baptism as St.Pauls Church, Rondebosch, Cape Town and would like to obtain his birth Certificate but I'm unsure how to do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Victoriab52

Sadly there was no civil registration at the Cape at this period. See https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ican-Genealogy

You have found the baptism of William Douglas Brice on 2 June 1853 at St.Paul's, Rondebosch, which says the date of birth was 8 May 1853 and the parents were Henry and Mary. You would not be likely to get any more information from a birth certificate. The witnesses at the baptism were William McLaughlen, Oscar Douglas McPherson and Ann Davidson.

If he was born at sea you are also out of luck because the Births at Sea register, available on Findmypast, started in 1854!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Sue
    Thank you for the information. I assume he would have been born a 'British subject' so would these births possibly have been recorded in England?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked www.theshipslist.com you could check www.national!archives.gov.uk

I think the birth is too early for findmypast