Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    popsit

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    A bit of nigt time reading....why struggle when it is on th'internet? Just google Barnet Burns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnet_Burns

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0burns&f=false

There are a lot of Irish in N Cumberland so I wonder if that's where his parents came from....
    Been there done that (Wikipedia). It doesn't answer any questions I put to the forum. Thank you. I actually like a bit of a struggle as one learns new things. Theres nothing as good as genealogy....love it.

Popsit

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can apply for death certificates here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Each one costs £9.25

You will need the year, the quarter, the volume and the page number.

You can also search the death index on the same site as well (free!).

The death you have found for Barnet in Devon sounds right, and would explain why Rosina was in Devon in the 1861 census on her own as a widow.

He may got into the habit of describing himself as a British Subject through his long years as a sailor / mariner going round the world and having to say where he was from in different ports, and given that he was quite a character, it would added to his air of mystery, particularly as you say he had a full face tattoo.

I presume that you have collect lots of newspaper cuttings, but in case you haven’t I did a very quick search at FMP and there are a number of articles there:
    Hampshire Advertiser 27 Feb 1836 – he was giving an account of his eight years in NZ
    Hampshire Advertiser 12 Mar 1836 – described as the NZ chieftain
    Hampshire Advertiser 26 Mar 1836 – described as the NZ chief
    Hampshire Advertiser 16 Apr 1836 – described as the NZ chief
    The Morning Post, London 18 Apr 1836 Barnet Burns, sailor
    Hampshire Advertiser 30 Apr 1836 – Barnet Burns the Englishman
    Hampshire Advertiser 7 May 1836 – lectured on NZ
    Hampshire Chronicle 9 May 1836 – lectured on NZ – an audience of 400 people
    Brighton Gazette 12 May 1836
    Brighton Patriot 5 July 1836
    Sussex Advertiser 14 November 1836 – account of a problem he had in France when he played a trick on the learned scientific body the Paris Academy
    Morning Advertiser 26 October 1837
    London Evening Standard 12 Feb 1839 – in trouble with the police but contains his account of how came to be living with the Maoris, and talks about cannibalism. He also says he took a “squaw” in France.
    Manchester Time 29 April 1848

popsit

Smile help or advice wanted.

To all members who answered my call re Barnet Burns, especially to Megan. Through you I have enough now to carry on.After yesterday with all the info and remarks I set off to look for any siblings Barnet may have had. I found marriage details for George and Anne Burns, parents to Barnet and found the following:

Robert b. 1802, Dec.
    Thomas b. 1803, Dec.
    George b. 1805, Nov.

All born in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancs. I was beginning to think maybe there were two George's as 1801 kept turning up as well as 1805. Sometimes in families back then the first George may have died between 1801 and 1805 so as the next one was a boy they recalled him George. I think I am safe in thinking there was only one George and he was born in 1805. I also think that the two before him, Thomas and Robert were named after fathers of the parents......correct me if I am wronge lol, wasn't that how it went back then.

George's middle name was Barnet (but not on his birth details) hence the reason he never used his first name of George except on his death details which Rosina must have known about so registered him with all his names. Maybe because he didn't want people to mix things with a father of the same name.

So, me thinking that Barnet was the first born goes out the window. I'm not sure if there were other children as yet later on, will take a look later. He sure was a colourful man wasn't he. I am going to try to go as far back as possible with this family.

I would like to thank you all very much for your time taken to help me, it is very much appreciated. I may be back sometime in the future if I get stuck again. Great web site.

Popsit/NZ

Hi Popsit
    I have merged your post (#23 which you had started as a new thread) with the original thread so all the information is kept together and also because you gave them both the same title which could have been confusing in the future.
    I have now changed the title of the original thread to 'Barnett Burns c1805' which represents more clearly just what and who the query was about. That will make it easier for others who may be researching Barnet Burns in the future.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Popsit
    You need to order the parish registers baptism and death fior Kirkby ireleth thru' family search to see what other info is shown.check out lancs-opc.org.UK The marriage of George & annn steward + some children are listed

popsit

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Popsit
    You need to order the parish registers baptism and death fior Kirkby ireleth thru' family search to see what other info is shown.check out lancs-opc.org.UK The marriage of George & annn steward + some children are listed
    Thank you for your post. Whilst I am here I would like to add a bit more that I have found for George and Anne Burns.I myself have been on the family search and found the following:

George and Anne were married 1801 Kirkby, Ireleth, Lancs. They had the following children (I may have a question to ask re these children).

Robert Burns b. 1st Dec. 1802 These two were twins yes?
    George Burns b. 1st Dec. 1802

Thomas Burns b. 17th Dec 1803
    George Burns b. 25th Nov. 1805 This is my Barnet Burns, Barnet being his middle name.
    Edward Burns b. 13th Oct. 1807
    John Burns b. 10th May 1811
    All born in Kirkby, Ireleth, Lancs. I think the George that I think was a twin must have died (will look for a death) hence another baby got called George. Anne's name was always spelt with an E on the end.
    I also think and also have to look it up that the John born 10th May 1811 may have died in on 25th aug. 1811.

If I have any mis information please let me know. Thanks.

Popsit

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that it is reasonable to assume that the two baptised on 1 Dec 1802 were twins, as they seem to be baptising children fairly regularly.

It is sometimes difficult to know where twins occur, because not all babies were baptised at birth.

The first baby George must have died and probably helps to explain why the second George was known Barnet rather than George.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you order the film with the parish register on, you may find local notes made by the officiating minister. You may pick up other family members!
    I research in Cumberland/Cumbria and actually found details of a couple's ancestry written in this margin. None of this
    Is contained on the on !line transcriptions!

popsit

Question Barnet Burns or Barnet George Burns lookup pl

Hi,
    I am looking for info on whereabouts I should look for a burial (which cemetery) or a lookup for the following person:

Barnet Burns, may have a middle name of George. He died in 1860, East stonehouse Devon. I have looked in the "billion graves" but wasn't there. Any help appreciated.

Popsit

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Popsit - to avoid confusion and duplicated research we only allow one thread for a person, so I have added your new request re Barnett to his original thread.

Though I've just realised that it would have made more sense if I'd put your post after mine , so everyone please read the post before this one (i.e. number 29) in case you can help popsit.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast