Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    As Megan has found, both Joseph BINGHAM and Mary Ann FORD were transported to Tasmania and you will find all their convict records digitised online on the Tas Archives website.

To clarify I did not find any records saying where Mary Ann Ford went to. Women convicts may have gone through the system slightly differently -I haven't been looking at any previously.

The way I have been tracing convict movements is to start with the Criminal Registers (either HO26 or HO27 - these are all on line with Ancestry or FMP), then see if there is a Calendar of Prisoners or Trial record (depends on location and some are on line); then look for prison hulk records (again both Ancestry and FMP have, but they have different sub sets). If there were any appeals FMP have these.

Joseph Bingham would have been free to leave Tasmania at the end of his sentence so that would tie in with the 1853 marriage date.

The "England" definitely went to Tasmania. The second voyage of the England as a convict sip – sailed from Sheerness on 4 April 1832 arrived VDL 18 July.

"William Bryan" sailed from London 4 Jul 1833 arrived VDL 23 October.
    https://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdp.../shipsTAS.html

Did Mary Ann marry twice?

Dundee10

Perhaps the person you are looking for is the Joseph BINGHAM born 1815, native of Derbyshire, tried at the Chester assizes for horse stealing in 1838 and arrived in NSW on the Earl Grey. He had a ten year sentence but did not get his COF until 1850 so he may have had a further colonial sentence/s.

You might be right Dundee, it according to our family history Mary had been married before to a convict but we could not find him, they had one son and her husband died and then she was supposed to have married our Joseph so looks as though I have a lot more research on my hands hey. thanks for that info I will go check it all out. On the subject of Joseph, its hard to imagine such a young boy being sent to a convict hulk ship. it must have been a nightmare, but they were tough back then.
    Thanks.

Yes as far as we know through oral family history she Joseph was her second husband, she had one son to her first husband but we havent been able to confirm that. we also know that her Joseph and Marys son Charles married a girl who's father was a convict.

Thanks so much to everyone that has helped steer me in the right direction, I have discovered a lot more
    So its starting to come together. Thank you friends, your help has been awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12