Default Locating my Father in law

My Father in law was in the Army, serving in WW2. We have photographic evidence in his Army Uniform when he got married and We understand that we have his was Medals. We have no other information other than this for his Service in the Army.
    My Husband was 8 Years old when his father passed and has no records of his service. But when we have looked at the sites for information, it seems that he didn't exist in the army as we are not able to locate him on this site. But when searching for my Brother who served in the 1980's we are able to locate him.
    We have his Birth, Death and Marriage certificate. How do we locate his service number and what Regiment her served for if we don't have this information. can someone please help with some advice. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums. As you seem to have come to us from Forces War Records reading https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...rs-Please-Read will tell you how and why you came to us.

Service records after 1920 are still held by the MoD and this https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757explains and gives links to download the application forms. You will need 30 pounds and the death certificate and patience as they will take quite a while to arrrive.
    Christina

Sorry but BG doesn't seem to be letting shorten the links this morning.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

What medals do you have?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Did he die during WW2? If so, it should be possible to find basic info on the Commonwealth War Graves site HERE (unless he had a very common name..)