Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Obtaining a birth certificate prior to 1837

hi there,
    I am not sure if this thread is meant to be here but I am trying at abtain a birth certificate from 1829 not sure how I can do this can someone please help me.

thankyou

Reputation beyond repute

For events before the start of civil registration (1837 in England & Wales). you need to search church and chapel registers for a baptism or equivalent.

Before 1837 there was no registration of anything - not legal registration. You will need, as Peter says, to search baptismal records to see if your ancestor was baptised. Even then then chances are that the actual date of the birth will not be recorded.

If you can't find anything in the parish you think is the right one then you have to search all those parishes around it. No easy way through this.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know that birth certificates, but not as we know them, did exist prior to civil registration, and I'm sure it was Guy Etchells who posted an example on BG some time ago. However despite scouring about two hundred bookmarked threads from BG I can't see a link to it.

I have found information relating to some birth certificates issued by/for non-conformists.
    https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-11/1004906898

There's also an interesting snippet about certificates going back to 1644 in this link (Guy again )
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ts/pre1812.htm
    Just scroll down the page till you see '1644' and then it's the last few words of the paragraph.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I'm pretty sure it was a Baptism Certificate that was issued by the Church, not a cert as we know it.

Historically, baptisms certificates were used as a legal document to prove your indentity, as birth certs do today.

Baptism certs are still issued today, but do not have any legal standing, as far as I know.

It is very rare that these survive in the family. I have only managed to have one in my possession, issue by the Clerk of the church.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post how to find parish records

thankyou everyone that responded to my post much apprecieated
    but how do I find parish records

henry William jubb was born 3 may 1829 clarborough Nottingham in England
    his parent were henry wiliam jubb died 1839
    mother was Elizabeth bamforth/banforth
    not sure on siblings at this moment
    so I need to find a parish records in that area of England

thankyou

Hi
    The Jubb child baptised 3 May 1829 at Clarborough was William Jubb, no Henry attached to the transcript of this record on familysearch.org His father is named as Henry (no William) and mother Elizabeth.
    There are two more males baptised at Clarborough to a Henry and Elizabeth.George Henry Jubb baptised 24 Dec 1825
    Died 27 Jan 1831
    Another William baptised 3 Aug 1836. Same parents, same place.
    Do you have your man's marriage record to Elizabeth Corr in Victoria?

Ypu can order the films of the baptisms from your nearest LDS centre. They may have more information.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This family seem to like using their middle birth names.

1841, East Retford, Nottinghamshre. HO107; Piece: 851; Book: 11; Folio: 28; Page: 11
    Elizth Jubb 35, widow
    William Jubb 12
    Harriett Jubb 10
    Charles Jubb 8
    Elizabeth Jubb 1

JUBB, Jane Elizabeth, mother's maiden name BAMFORTH
    GRO Reference: 1839 Dec Quarter in EAST RETFORD UNION Volume 15 Page 459
    Alma

In 1851 Elizabeth Jubb age 11, born East Retford is with Elizabeth STAMP age 40 born Sutton Nottinghamshire and her husband John STAMP age 33, born Mansfield. They are living in Ordsall Nottinghamshire. HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 556; Page: 20;

It looks like Elizabeth has dumbed down her age by a few years, probably because her husband is quite a few years younger.

Marriages Dec 1848, East Retford vol 15 page 1057
    Elizabeth JUBB, John STAMP
    Alma

Courtesy of Ancestry; Collection: Nottinghamshire: - Register of Marriages, 1553-1837
    Henry Jubb, of Clareborough, & Elizabeth Bamforth 15 Sep 1823
    Marriages at Ossington, 1600 to 1837. (Marriage)
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast