Question RASC Eighth Army

Can anyone give me any in sight on the above, my father was an Ambulance driver- before being transfered to RAMC he was in the RASC Driving Ammunitions as far as I can find out, but I know he was at El Alamein, Tripoli, Tobruk, Scicily, Italy, and ended in Austria, if anyone can tell me anything I would be grateful, or even photographs, as all our family have gone, I want to finish our family file, and Dad is the stumbling block as he would not talk about it.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Dorili,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you came to us via Forces War Records this will tell you a little about us.

Service records post-1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. You should find all the information you need to send for your father's records here.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default RASC Eighth Army

Hi
    I did send forms like these many years ago, I got a bit of information, such as his Service number, and the following the postings and the years but it doesn't tell me anything else, apart from being released to Army reserve 22-05-46
    Military Conduct: Exemplary

I know he was out of circulation at one point as we had no communication from him for quite a long while,and Mother was getting very distraught over it.

I have looked on your lists for Death, Missing wounded, and his service number never came up,

This came from Ministry of Defence, Hayes, Middlesex

Would it be that I will not find out anything more about what he did etc?.

Thank you for any help.
    Dorili

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Dorili

Did you get just 1 or 2 typed pages, a summary of his service record, or the full record.
    If you just got the summary, write back to them, asking for his full service record.
    I did for my Dad and got quite a few copied pages. He had a similar experience, but was in the RA.
    Photographs would not be easy, unless they were named.

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thank you Robert, I will try that but it is some while ago that I sent for it,
    as they if you don't try you will never know.... yes I realise I am asking a lot about the photos.
    Dorili