blue wren

Default ROOS brothers RMLI Uniforms

Hi All
    I am wondering if any forum members can decipher the difference between these two RMLI uniforms. Both these brothers joined the RMLI in the same year but there seem to be differences in their uniforms i.e. belts, buttons etc. Would appreciate any clarity on this - with thanks in advance

Growing old Disgracefully

Have you tried Google put in "RMLI Uniforms"

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi, if the brothers are Richard Daniel and Frederick Lancelot, their Service Records are available from the National Archives. Richard was born in 1903 and enlisted in October 1920. Frederick was born in 1905 and enlisted in October 1920. Looking at the belts,the "white belt" looks like a blancoed khaki web belt, worn with battledress on drill parades. The other looks as though its the "normal" belt. This difference may be reflected in the rest of the uniform. According to TNA, Richard was Chatham Division and Frederick, Plymouth.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The difference in jackets may follow from the amalgamation of the RMLI and the RMA in 1923, depending on when the photo was taken. After the amalgamation, a new uniform was issued, but it took some time to get issued to everyone. So, maybe Chatham got there first, or last.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

blue wren

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Have you tried Google put in "RMLI Uniforms"
    Hi Sandy

Thanks for the hint - I have done a lot of searching but at present don't have any definitive answer to my question regarding the uniforms. I know that the two in the photo are Richard and Frederick ROOS but don't know which one is which! I thought if there was difference that might give me a hint.

blue wren

Hi Peter

Thank you for the information you have passed on. This photo was sent to me by relative and I take it that there was no extra information available. To our knowledge they are indeed Richard Daniel and Frederick Lancelot ROOS that both joined up in 1920 (under Marine age). Richard as a tailor and Frederick as a Bugler. Their father Henry who died 25 December 1919 was also RMLI as a tailor after seeing action in South Africa in the 2nd Boer War in the Queens Bays. I have downloaded all their records from TNA and FMP so have solid history on them. Richard spent all his military career with RM retiring as a Color Sergeant, whereas Frederick left in 1927 to join RN as a Stoker and in WW2 ended up as a POW in Italy then Germany. Glad to say both men survived to live a fair while after that. I take it that with your information and what I have researched this photo was taken sometime between 1920 when they joined and 1927 when Frederick left to transfer to RN. Shame they don't wear their hats (Broderick or Peaked Cap) in this photo as that would pinpoint it closer. Thanks once again. If anyone else has more information, that would be happily accepted.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It seems that neither The Royal Marines Museum nor The Royal Marines Historical Society are able to assist with research enquiries.

However, there is a publication "Uniforms of the Royal Marines: 1664 to the present day" by Charles C Stadden and G & C Newark. It's an expensive tome and the lowest price I have seen for a second-hand copy in the UK is £16.00.

It's the sort of reference book that might well be kept by libraries, so try checking with your library for a copy.

Peter

blue wren

Thanks for that information Peter. That book might be a bit difficult to source here in Australia but I'll give it a go. It seems I need to do a lot more research one way or the other.