Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Also spotted
    LLoyd's List

1 Jan 1819
    St. Helena, no date, Pr. Regent, White, arrived from Isle of France and Cape Good Hope

5 Jan 1819
    Off Oporto Bar, Dec 15, Prince Regent, Chudleigh, Newfoundland
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Public Ledger & Daily Advertiser, 15 July 1819

SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE

"GRAVESEND 29th - Arrived - ....; and Prince Regent, Chudleigh, from Bristol; ..."

Public Ledger & Daily Advertiser, 22 Jan 1819

DEAL, Jan 20th - Arrived; ....; Prince Regent, Graham, from Gibraltar; ...".

Do you have a confirmed link with the Prince Regent, East India Man and the subject of your research or have you simply linked your subject with a ship named "Prince Regent". Looks as if there were two plying their trade around this time?

Loves to help with queries

It's a tricky one, and I'll know more when I hear back from the National Archives (or manage to get a cousin in London to visit the LMA), but at present, the known movements of the Prince Regent that was the East Indiaman appear to match quite closely with the information I have about my x3 great-grandfather. I'll report back when I have more to go on...

You have mentioned probate July 1819 - do you have a burial/death date?

No, I've never managed to find a death or burial, but the probate says "foreign parts" and his occupation was sometimes given as "mariner". Putting two and two together suggests he died at sea without having made a will. His wife re-married in 1821.

Have also spotted -
    " Deal, Jan 20th (1819) - Arrived .... Prince Regent, Graham, from Gibraltar - 22 Jan 1819
    "Sailed .... Prince Regent, Graham, for The Havannah (26 July 1819)

Looks like three vessels in the frame?

It's unclear which Prince Regent is referred to in the National Archives listing: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4127522

They also have a separate listing for the East Indiaman of the same name, but the records for that are kept at the British Library and only accessible with a reader's ticket.

Apparently there was in addition a yacht with the same name at the same time - all very confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Have also spotted -
    " Deal, Jan 20th (1819) - Arrived .... Prince Regent, Graham, from Gibraltar - 22 Jan 1819
    "Sailed .... Prince Regent, Graham, for The Havannah (26 July 1819)

Looks like three vessels in the frame?

I've now got the administration record from the LMA, and it does refer to a Charles Rogers who was a crew member on the Prince Regent that was captained by a man called Graham. Unfortunately, it's not my x3 great grandfather as this one is a bachelor and the person making the claim is a (presumably) unrelated female to whom he owed money! Back to square one, just when it looked as though things might have been falling into place...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12