Default Can anyone help make sense of Column C

Can anyone make sense of column C. This is a section of my Grandfather's military records. I know he took part in the liberation of Jersey (have his medal). I can't work our how he ended up doing so, was too young much of the war, and a Bandsman who as far as I am aware spent most of the war in Winchester. He was in the 2nd Battalion Hampshire regiment. There was also mention that he may have taken part in transporting prisoners between France & England. I am presuming that this too would be between these dates as this is the service that allowed him an additonal medal.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI
    SOS = struck off strength - of the Hampshire Regiment on 7.4.45
    TOS = taken on strength - to Depot on 30.5.45
    I cant find what RPFAO means?? or is it RPFAD?
    Could it be - RP Regimental Police , FAD Forward Ammunition Depot or FAO Food and Agriculture Organisation ????

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

A fountain of knowledge

FAO was a United Nations designation only and only started in October 1945 in any case.
    (My Father in Law was a senior chap there in Rome for many years).

Thanks Robert, this is another part of his service record still not clear here whethe RPFAO or RPFAD.

Just had another word with my Dad, he says he remembers his father telling tales of bringing German POWs to England (apparently they were always friendly and chatty on the boat), and how on the morning of the 9th May 1945 when arriving at port in Jersey all the Germans where waving to the men on the boats. This period is the only period during WW2 that he left England so really want get to the bottom of what this means and where he was transferred. Driven me mad for years and every so often get it out again to see if anything else is around. Said to my husband (ex-army) yesterday it's a joke really these records, how on earth they had a clue as to where anyone was is beyond me.

FAO for UN designation would be too late for this then, as this is Apr/May 45. It has to be something to do with the lot that Liberated Jersey but just not finding anything.