Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibarb View Post
    Hi Christina,
    Thanks for taking the time to look this up. I wish I could say yes, that is him, but I just have no idea. He was born about 1855-60 and suspect is nearer the 1855. His death certificate has him as 55 at his death in 1915 but suspect that is incorrect.

Beautiful day here too so need to spend the time outside. Back to it later like you.
    Enjoy the day.

Regards
    Barbara
    Hi Barbara
    I take it that you are researching an Edward Evans who you are certain died in 1915 and may possibly be this man the deserter. Do you have the death certificate? What else do you know about 'your' Edward Evans? Wife? Marriage date, place, age at marriage, occupation, witnesses? Any children?
    Christina
    W
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley,
    Thanks for the info. I have the marriage certificate of Edward Evans and Helena Rosina Carpenter and Edwards father's name is Thomas Evans. They married 1907 in Liverpool. Years after their children were born!! Edward was a slater's labourer most of his life but don't know what Thomas's occupation was. Thanks for the links will look at them.

Regards
    Barbara

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Ancestry links 5163 from the Deserters List to the son of David & Mary E, b. in Ruabon, Denbighshire, but it's not clear what they base this on. He's a coal miner.

In the 1861, they're all living in Ruabon, Wrexham.

How sure are ou that the father is Thomas?
    How did you find the link from Ancestry to son of David & Mary Evans please?
    Thanks.
    Barbara

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christina,

Yes, trying to find more information on Edward Evans b about 1855-60 in Wrexham. Father Thomas.
    I have the death certificate of Edward who died in 1915 in Bootle, Liverpool. His wife was Helena Rosina Carpenter commonly known as Ellen in all Census born in Bristol, not Wrexham as 1891 census states. They married in 1907 in Liverpool. Their witness was Helena's sister Esther Amelia who married the same day as Helena and Edward. Edward was a slater's labourer. Yes according to the 1911 census they had 17 children. I have been able to find 9. One of them was my grandfather Albert Martin Evans b 1889. Others are, George Edward b 1882. Walter James, Thomas Edward (Edward) and Thomas Alfred Evans b 1901. I am in contact and visited with my Evans cousins in UK. They do not have information on Edward either. I am the person doing our family tree.
    It is the Welsh side of the family we know little about and would dearly love to see what we can find of them. Evans in Wales very difficult I know.

Regards
    Barbara

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley,
    Have found the links in Ancestry re the birth etc of Edward Evans and the various census.
    Edward was in Liverpool from at least 1882 onward. So the links on ancestry are not the Edward Evans I am looking for.
    Thanks anyway.
    Regards
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibarb View Post
    Hi Christina,

Yes according to the 1911 census they had 17 children. I have been able to find 9. One of them was my grandfather Albert Martin Evans b 1889. Others are, George Edward b 1882. Walter James, Thomas Edward (Edward) and Thomas Alfred Evans b 1901.
    Regards
    Barbara
    Hi
    I used the GRO index yesterday and found, 1879 -1911, 10 Evans children births in the Toxteth Park, W. Derby registration district to a mother maiden name Carpenter.
    There were 17 other birth registrations, 1879-1911, with the mother's maiden name Carpenter in the Pontypridd, Bedwelty, Swansea, Newport. Crickhowell registration districts and one in Kensington. I wonder if the family moved back and forth to Wales between censuses and some of these births are theirs?
    I looked on FreeBMD and 1870-1882 there are quite a few potential marriages of a female Carpenter to a male Evans in Wales alone.
    I can't find any information linking your Thomas and the deserter Thomas Evans. No siting of any other military reference.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I can't find any information linking your Thomas and the deserter Thomas Evans. No siting of any other military reference.
    Christina
    Not quite true as the article in the Wrexham Advertiser 13 July 1878 identifies him as Edward Evans, slater, of Wrexham.

I don't know if this guide on The National Archives site will be of any help.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christina,

Thank you again for taking the time to search the records. I have looked again this AM for a 10th child but unable to find them. Can you enlighten me further please? None of the children have been born in Wales that I have found as both Edward and Helena (Ellen) are missing from 1881 census as are other members of the Carpenter family. There were some Carpenter family that were miners in the Bedwelty area so some where else to look that I haven't done as yet. The children I have found are Geo Ed. 1882. Mary Ellen 1884 Sarah Esther 1886 Albert Martin 1889 Edward 1891 Walter James 1895 Ellen & Sarah Esther (twins) 1900 Thomas Alfred 1901. In fact the GRO have Thom Alfred as 1902. Born 28 Dec so obviously registered 1902. Sarah Esther b 1886 was born in Bootle but died in Toxteth Park.
    Again thank you.

Barbara

Hi Barbara
    The birth I have that you haven't listed is Robert Dec 1/4 1898 registration district West Derby vol 8b page 596
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

# 5
    He has been a bit of a mystery researching him
    Edward Evans
    Birth Year: 1855
    Birth Place: Denbigh
    Event Date: 8 Jul 1874
    Port of Registry: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Ship Name: Egypt
    Official Number: 65865
    Reference Number: 387CRE/306

Wrexham Advertiser 02 February 1878
    Edward Evans of Royal Artillery Remanded awaiting War Office Authorities to communicate

One of the news items above mentions he was a 'slater'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast