Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Post Name change is confusing me!

Why do some people have more than one surname? One of my ancestors keeps changing between Todd and Lumkin in the census records. And now I've found that my husband's great grandfather could not decide if he was Charles Polley or Charles Howard on his marriage record. In the 1901 and 1911 census he is Polley as are his parents. I have no idea where the Howard name has come from.

Charles Polley b. 1896 Tendring, Essex, m. Una Arthey in 1921.

My husband is a Howard so the name clearly stuck.

Knowledgeable and helpful

How sure are you that Charles POLLEY was born in 1896? Do you have his birth certificate?

The marriage entry in 1921 is for Charles H W POLLEY and Una A ARTHEY (Tendring Q1 Vol 4A Page 1409)

The GRO index has a birth for a Charles Howard William POLLEY b.1902 (Tendring Q1 Vol 4a Page 786). Mother's maiden name is not recorded.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by swendeperle82 View Post
    . And now I've found that my husband's great grandfather could not decide if he was Charles Polley or Charles Howard on his marriage record. In the 1901 and 1911 census he is Polley as are his parents. I have no idea where the Howard name has come from.

Charles Polley b. 1896 Tendring, Essex, m. Una Arthey in 1921.

My husband is a Howard so the name clearly stuck.
    In view of Peter's find below, it appears Charles was born 1902 and not 1896 as you thought. The reason for a name change could be simply he was born to an unmarried mother whose surname was Polley, and she later married a Mr Howard, who may or may not be Charles' father.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    How sure are you that Charles POLLEY was born in 1896? Do you have his birth certificate?

The marriage entry in 1921 is for Charles H W POLLEY and Una A ARTHEY (Tendring Q1 Vol 4A Page 1409)

The GRO index has a birth for a Charles Howard William POLLEY b.1902 (Tendring Q1 Vol 4a Page 786). Mother's maiden name is not recorded.

Peter
    Do you know if Charles had a sister named Kathleen? I ask as these records could be related to your search.

1901, Ardleigh, Tendring. RG13; Piece: 1702; Folio: 48; Page: 15
    Arthur Polley 43
    Alma Polley 41
    Florence Polley 16
    William Polley 13
    Charles Polley 10
    Ernest Polley 6
    Ethel Polley 4
    Uriah Snow 75

1911, Ardleigh, RG14; Piece: 10276; SN: 54
    Arthur Polley 53
    Alma Polley 52
    Charles Polley 20
    Ernest Polley 16
    Ethel Polley 14
    Charles Howard 9, grandson
    Kathleen Howard 3
    grand dau

Marriages Mar 1903
    Howard William Thomas Tendring 4a 679
    Polley Florence Alma Tendring 4a 679
    Alma

Florence and William Howard can be found on the 1939 register along with a son. If you search FreeBMD using surname HOWARD, mother's surname POLLEY you'll find the son's name.
    Alma

This appears to be Florence and William in 1911 along with two other children at: 3 New Town Road, Colchester, Essex, William age 31 born Crockleford, Essex (steam roll driver), Florence age 29 born Tollesbury Essex (as in 1901), Vera 7, born Colchester, Evelyn 2 months, born Colchester. RG14; Piece: 10302; SN: 212

HOWARD, VERA ALMA, MMN POLLEY
    GRO Reference: 1904 M Quarter in COLCHESTER Volume 04A Page 842

HOWARD, EVELYN ETHEL MILLICENT, MMN POLLEY
    GRO Reference: 1911 M Quarter in COLCHESTER Volume 04A Page 803
    Alma

1891, Tollesbury. RG12; Piece: 1399; Folio: 47; Page: 20
    Uriah Succo 63
    Arthur Polley 35, married, son in law
    Alina Succo 33, dau (transcribed as Alina Succo, but I think should be Alma Polley)
    Florence Polley 6, grand dau
    William Polley 3, grandson
    Charles Polley 8/12, grandson

I'm not convinced SUCCO is a correct translation I'll dig about to see if I can find Arthur Polley's marriage.

ETA: Looks like the surname is SNOW
    Marriages Dec 1878, Maldon vol 4a page 473, these two are both on the same page: Polly[sic] Arthur , SNOW Alma

Una A Howard and Charles W Howard can be found on the 1939 register along with a daughter.

OK now we've given you a good start, I'll leave you to enjoy further searching, but if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask for help.
    Alma