22 years old
    Born Wingham
    Domestic servant
    Slightly deaf

RG13
    Piece: 1005
    Folio: 113
    Page: 14

It looks as though she's living in 34, Somers Road, Portsmouth, a place listed as a 'house of refuge'.
    The head of the household is listed as 'lame from accident' and another girl in the house is said to be 'slightly deaf' too.

I believe she's Alice Isabel, the daughter of William Richard & Harriett Alice Rogers. I have them in 1901 census in Sutton, living with some of their children. I also have Alice with her parents+siblings in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. Not 100% on this, so I could be wrong!

Just wondered if anyone could give me any info on this particular 'house of refuge', or on 'houses of refuge' at this time? Does anyone know why she would be living here, or what her situation would have been like?

Thank you!

From this site. Scroll down to Hospitals, Homes and Institutions
    St. Thomas’s Refuge, 34 Somers road, Southsea; Miss S. Young, matron
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

See the Children's Homes site

https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MH3.shtml

34 Somers road, Southsea is listed as a Magdalen Home (for 'fallen' girls and women)

Starting to feel at home

Thank you both! I've had a look at both links. Rather interesting, wish that I could find more detailed info!

Could anyone help in finding Alice in the 1911 census, or a death reg/burial if she died? I can't seem to find anything!

Since we don't allow more than one active thread on a particular subject (it is VERY frustrating to spend time hunting and then discover that the info has already been given on another forum), I am closing this thread. If you can help in the search for Alice, please add it to the thread HERE.