Thread: HMS Gambia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default HMS Gambia

Years ago I started writing a site about my own father’s time in the Royal Navy in the late forties and fifties. He served mostly on HMS Gambia and HMS Warrior, an aircraft carrier. Those pages can be found at brisray.com/dad/

Shortly after I made those pages, Bill Hartland contacted me about the site he was editing about HMS Gambia for the HMS Gambia Association. Unfortunately that site disappeared from the web several years ago. But, the Web Archive managed to capture at least some of it. The remains of it can be seen at web.archive.org/web/20140612055704/https://www.hmsgambia.com/

Because of my own interest in the ship, Bill and I are trying to reconstruct all the material we are able to and put that on a new site at hmsgambia.org. This site is new and not fully finished, but over the next couple of weeks and months I hope to add all the information I can save from Bill’s old site to that one.

If you know anything at all about the ship or have memories, scans of photographs or other material about her, we really would appreciate it if you could send them to me. The Web Archive collected a lot of material but unfortunately not all of it and I would hate to think that this material might be lost for good.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 17-04-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Urls inactivated. Copy/paste into a browser.

I served on H.M.S. Gambia right at the end of her career and have a story of how I missed the ship and the subsequent 'escapade' if you are interested.

Might be of interest to others on the last commission.

Do remember that we can't allow the publication of details about (potentially) living other people on the open forum without their knowledge, although they can be swapped via the PM (private message) system.
    However tales of general interest are welcome.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Jim, I've sent you a PM, Ray