Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Witchypoo

Talking Alfred Abel Macpherson

Hi all,

Its been 9 years I have been on this trail and still no further forward etc some military.

On army records it states he was born around 1873 in Adelaide Australia and yet there is no birth certificates
    Arrived in Glasgow 15 May 1895, back in Sydney 18th July 1912. Marriage 7 April 1918 Dover
    Emma his wife had three children 1919 Alfred, 1921 Ernest James, Frederick 1922
    Emma passed away Faversham Was led to believe he was deported but why I don't know my dad thought Jamaica has he had very dark complexion and brown eyes black tight curled hair but I more thinking possibly aboriginal who knows still no records.... His three children was looked at barnados homes.... he disappeared until 1930 then he was back in London? Then passed away 25th Feb 1954 Surrey. There seems to be no records where he was buried only his probate records which was on the 30 August 1954 Surrey. This man was a seaman the transferred to the Labour corp This man seems very elusive. I am assuming he was a merchant seaman as he turned up in New York through out this time... On probate records it shows Dennis James Macpherson... who is he ?

Any help would be appreciated?

Famous for offering help & advice

The Surrey Electoral Registers at Ancestry may help - at least they give some names which might suggest a connection, but I'll leave you to puzzle it out.

At 265 Malden Road in 1950 and 1951 there are Alfred L, Dennis and Joan MacPherson. Alfred L and Dennis have an S in front of their names, which according to the notes on the first page indicates a Service voter. In both years there are also two males with different surnames (different men each year) - lodgers?

In 1952 Dennis and Margaret Macpherson are at 117 Epsom Road (not sure if that's Sutton or Cheam) with a man and woman with different surnames.

In 1954 and 1955, the 265 Malden Road household comprises Alfred, Alfred L, Florence, John and Mary Macpherson, plus William Jobson (lodger?). Alfred L still has S before his name, and Alfred has J after his, which the notes say means he is liable for jury service.

Anyway, there are a few names there, and with the help of BMD indexes you might be able to work something out.

Do you have Alfred and Emma's marriage certificate? Their ages? His father's name and occuption?
    Just some facts for those wanting to help
    Alfred's marriage reg has his surname as Alfred McPherson, no middle initial and his wife as Emma J Goodwin.
    The children's births are all in Kent and Frederick's has the middle initial O. Frederick and Albert's registered as Macpherson, Ernest James as Mcpherson
    I can see Frederick in the 1939 register, still in Kent.
    Have you been able to work out what other branch of the services Alfred says he served in? Royal P--inee- W and D
    I'll keep looking
    Christina

Added- he joined up in 1919 age 43 so born c1876 (not 1873?)
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    .....back in Sydney 18th July 1912.
    If you are referring to the A. McPHERSON who was an able seaman on the Ashridge then the crew manifest states that he was born in Scotland. Why do you think he is your Alfred?

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Have you been able to work out what other branch of the services Alfred says he served in? Royal P--inee- W and Dm
    Just taken a look at his WW1 pension records as opposed to his service record and it says previously in the Royal Engineers then J? B? and D. Whatever the initials mean
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Royal Engineers, Inland Waterways & Docks
    Attested at Cardiff 30 Jun 1917

His original NOK was Mrs WRIGHT, Green Street, Hanley? Pl?, Adelaide.

To me his name is recorded as Alfred Abe not Abel.

On probate records it shows Dennis James Macpherson... who is he ?

A Dennis J McPherson married a Margaret H Byram March 1/4 1951 registration district Surrey Mid E vol 5g page 587 There is a birth reg for Margaret H Byrom 1924 in Epsom Surrey.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Referring to the Electoral Rolls found by arthurk.
    A Florence Rose McPherson of 265 Malden Road Cheam died 18 October 1973. Probate at London 30 November.
    Estate of 12599 pounds.
    The death reg appears to be in Sutton, Greater London and does not have the middle initial R.

Florence Macpherson
    Born 5 Sep 1890
    Registered Dec 1973
    Age at Death 83
    Registration district Sutton Greater London
    Volume 5e Page 691

Christina
    William Burroughs

On probate records it shows Dennis James Macpherson... who is he ?
    These records could be for Denis/Dennis

Name: Denis J McPherson
    Mother's Maiden Surname: Harris
    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1928
    Registration district: Wandsworth
    Inferred County: Greater London
    Volume Number: 1d
    Page Number: 742

Name: Margaret H Byram
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1951
    Registration district: Surrey Mid Eastern
    Inferred County: Surrey
    Spouse: Denis J Macpherson Or Mcpherson
    Volume Number: 5g
    Page Number: 587
    (there is a Margaret on the electoral rolls found by Arthur)

Also on the electoral rolls as found by Arthur were an Alfred and a John
    Births Jun 1926
    Macpherson Alfred E L, Mother's maiden name Harris Kensington 1a 199
    Births Jun 1931
    MacPherson John, Mother's maiden name Harris Kensington 1a 181

An Alfred L Macpherson maried Joan I Proud, Surrey Mid Eastern, qrt 3, 1947; vol 5G page 682
    (A Joan is also on the Electoral Rolls)

So, the question is: did Alfred Abel marry a lady surnamed Harris? When did his wife Emma die?
    Alma

So, the question is: did Alfred Abel marry a lady surnamed Harris?
    Or, were there two Alfred Abel Macpherson's. As pointed out by Christina the marriage to Emma J Goodwin names him Alfred M, no middle name. What proof do you have that it was Alfred Abel Macpherson who married Emma? If Alfred Macpherson and Emma J Goodwin are definitely your ancestors their marriage certificate is needed for you to take this research further, if you have the marriage certificate please post all details entered on it.
    Alma

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast