+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

I subscribed to Ancestry yesterday and found out about India and the marriage. My 86 year old mother had the vapours when I told her.

I'll subscribe to find my past.

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuvvernewbie View Post

The 1911 census has my grandfather as a rifleman in India, and has him as 'married'.

The plot thickens.
    Interesting. When I was searching the other day, I put the wrong year span into FreeBMD and found a marriage for Thomas E Dowding in 1910 in Croydon
    . The structure of that database means that it doesn't say whether he married Florence White or Elizabeth Worsley - they're both on the same page as him. I didn't bother to check it further as I thought it was obviously the wrong T.E.D..

I can't find a "suitable" death for Elizabeth or Florence Dowding....

I see that the 1911 gives him as born in Newcastle, Northumberland - a long way from Sheerness.

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 954 Posts

FMP has a service record for a Thomas Edward Dowding, b. 1886 Newcastle, attesting for the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1904, service no 6815. It gives a National Archives ref WO 96, box 87. Box record 396.

There's another TED who joined the Royal Artillery in 1938 - presumably his son.

PS I never worked up the courage to tell my Mum that our mitochondrial DNA (ie completely female chain - mother's mother's mother's etc) would show us as hailing from the Bombay area....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2