Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I subscribed to Ancestry yesterday and found out about India and the marriage. My 86 year old mother had the vapours when I told her.

I'll subscribe to find my past.

Quote Originally Posted by nuvvernewbie View Post

The 1911 census has my grandfather as a rifleman in India, and has him as 'married'.

The plot thickens.
    Interesting. When I was searching the other day, I put the wrong year span into FreeBMD and found a marriage for Thomas E Dowding in 1910 in Croydon
    . The structure of that database means that it doesn't say whether he married Florence White or Elizabeth Worsley - they're both on the same page as him. I didn't bother to check it further as I thought it was obviously the wrong T.E.D..

I can't find a "suitable" death for Elizabeth or Florence Dowding....

I see that the 1911 gives him as born in Newcastle, Northumberland - a long way from Sheerness.

FMP has a service record for a Thomas Edward Dowding, b. 1886 Newcastle, attesting for the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1904, service no 6815. It gives a National Archives ref WO 96, box 87. Box record 396.

There's another TED who joined the Royal Artillery in 1938 - presumably his son.

PS I never worked up the courage to tell my Mum that our mitochondrial DNA (ie completely female chain - mother's mother's mother's etc) would show us as hailing from the Bombay area....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12