Default w Flight 1st anti aircraft co-operation unit

Hi,

No trace of this in the search, I know that it was based at RAF Kidsdale (Burrow head)in Wigtownshire SW Scotland, before either being disbanded or transferred out in 1943. Also 651 Squadron, which was based there fro August to October 1942. The RE took over the base until 1966, but I'm particularly interested in the RAF side of this, for the moment, if any of you fine people can help?

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the National Archives?

In the catalogue, reference AIR 29/42, it says

"W Flight, 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit, Henlow; moved to Burrow Head 9 May 1939; moved to Kidsdale, near Whithorn 1 December 1939; disbanded 10 May 1942."

That's just the catalogue entry, of course. For details you need to read AIR 29/42 available free of charge to visitors to the National Archives.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4099749

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums kenikeli.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading This will tell you a little about us, what we do and why you landed up here.

As you have probably found there are lots of snippets of information on the internet but nothing detailed about the activities at Kidsdale 1939 to 1942/3. As always Peter has pointed you in the right direction.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for the speedy response, more help than the RAF association have been and certain other parties!

I'm looking specifically for a duty roster and/or Lt. Caldwell (or variant), would this be the sort of info held at Kew?

If Lt Caldwell is a relative and you wanted to spend 30 pounds you could apply for his service records from the MoD, but you would need his death certificate. This 'sticky' explains and gives links to download the application forms.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

He's not related, no. But he's definitely dead (!) and was based at the airfield there which was used for anti aircraft gunnery training before 1942, when the base was taken over by the Royal Engineers until its closure in 1966. I'm investigating this individual as one of my case studies.Thanks for the reply!

Reputation beyond repute

If you're not related, you can obtain a full service record providing he died more than 25 years ago.

I would love for it to be that simple, I'm finding out trying to find dead people by a first or second name only is rather problematic. Unfortunately the only info I have to go on is that a Lt. Caldwell was (or may have been) based at Kidsdale, is now dead and that he died before 1973.

Reputation beyond repute

The National Archives have experts on various types of records such as RAF operational records. I would suggest contacting them.