Default Researching German POWs Held in the UK

Hi,

My partners grandfather served with the Wehrmacht and was captured in 1944 by the allies. He was sent to a UK based POW camp. After the war he lived in the UK working as a baker until 1952 when he returned to Germany.

We have applied for his German military records, however, I was wondering if anybody knows if British records of POWs held by them are available?

Thanks in advance,

Clem

Reputation beyond repute

Any surviving records in the UK are likely to be at the National Archives. It's always worth looking through their many helpful guides. Such as https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...british-hands/

As you will see there isn't much available but there are valuable pointers to sources elsewhere (section 9 of the guide)

thewideeyedowl

Default Info on Radio Marconi website

Hello, Clem, and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

I think you will find quite a lot of general info on this site about Radio Marconi: https://www.radiomarconi.com/marconi/.../pow/pows.html. Much of the site is in Italian but the important page about German POWs in the UK is in English. Amongst other things, it details the way POWs were processed, where they were held, and lists 162 POW camps.

You mentioned that your partner's grandfather stayed in England until 1952, working as a baker. From the Marconi site, I understand that he would officially have been classified as a 'Displaced Person' [DP]. You might unearth more useful info if you run some web searches for something like (Displaced Persons England post-WW2). You should also check out the term on the National Archives website. (I haven't done that yet. Sorry.)

I hope you will be able to unearth some information - please let us know how you get on. It is a niche subject that may interest other researchers too.

Swooping off.

Owl

Thanks for everybody's advice.

We already found some very basic information from Australian Immigration records (the unit that he served in and the time spent as a POW). We've applied for information from the Red Cross and for his German military records. I've started going through www.radiomarconi for more information.

Cheers,

Clem

The International Red Cross will hold some information on him and there are also records of POW camp inspections, if you know the camp he was in. The Deutsches Dienstelle (WaSt) in Berlin hold records, I assume this is who you have already written to. As family members you will have access to his service records, his unit service, dog tag details etc etc.

Kind Regards,
    Simon.