Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whdsn

Default st hilary marriage which one is right

please can someone tell me the correct marriage details 1 website shows james Wearn married eliza Richards in st Hilary 21st December 1833 while another wesite shows james Wearne married eliza Richards rowe

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You are allowed to tell us the names of the websites, and in fact, without knowing which ones you're referring to, we're not likely to have a clue as to which one might be correct.
    One thing you always check is the source which is quoted, and exactly who/which organisation made the transcript.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

whdsn

freereg and Cornish opc database

whdsn

familysearch used to let you view parish records online but now if your a member you now got to go to their familyhistory centre to view parish records this is the message i'm getting These images are viewable:
    To signed-in members of supporting organizations.
    When using the site at a family history center.

Familysearch.org has the parish registers for St Hilary online so you can check for yourself which entry is correct.

In the list of collections for England scroll down to England Cornwall Parish Registers, and then just follow the links.

Pam

Sorry whdsn, we posted at the same time (apart from a few seconds) about the online PRs on FamilySearch. I didn't know about that change - hadn't clicked as far as that page.
    Do you have an FHC fairly local to you that you can go and view them at?

I'll try to remember when I'm on the computer as opposed to the tablet, to look at the entries and try to give an opinion, unless anyone else comes in first.

Pam

whdsn

Thank you

In both the 1841 and 1851 census James and Eliza are without children. However in the 1851 census they have a niece Eliza J Andrews living with them age 4.
    Her birth is on the GRO index with the mother's maiden name Rowe so it looks a possibility that her parents are an Andrews who married a sister of Eliza.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Oh dear. I was going to say that I couldn't find out much more than Christina - and then I looked at the 1861 census.
    James's details matched perfectly to the 1851, as did Eliza, his wife's.
    They still have their 14-year old niece, born in Perranuthnoe, living with them. Name of Eliza J. Andrewartha.
    Seems she married Thomas Prisk in 1868. Cornwall OPC have transcribed the marriage and her father is listed as Charles Andrewartha, a miner.

As regards the PR entries for James and Eliza's marriage, her surname isn't the only discrepancy. His surname is different, as is one of the witnesses. If you're not able to get to a LDS FHC to view the PRs online, all I can suggest is that you contact the Cornwall OPC and FreeREG, and ask if they could please check their transcriptions.

Pam

janbooth

The parish registers of St Hilary are available to view via Ancestry:

21 December 1833 James WEARN of the parish of St Erth, but non sojourning in St Hilary, bachelor & Eliza Richards ROWE, of Marazia? in this parish, spinster. James marked, Eliz signed as did the witnesses Cathrine ROSKELLEY & James BOOGE.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast