Default Maurice Spire Powell

Hi,

I'm trying to find out information about my Grandfathers WW2 service.

His name is Maurice Spire Powell. He was born on the 28/7/1920 and died 11/7/2003. He never really talked about his service, so I'm going off fragments of stories.

He was a Pilot who initially joined the New Zealand Airforce. He rapidly transferred to the RAF (at least I assume that he did - he was based in the UK for the war). He may have gone to Canada for training at some stage.

I'm not sure what type of plane he flew, but it was large enough to warrant having an engineer on board.

I've searched on Forces-War Records but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Clem

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Clem,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

You've obviously come to us via Forces War Records and a read of this will tell you a bit about us.

Service records for WW2 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. This should give you all the information and links to the forms to send (along with thirty pounds and a copy of your grandfather's death certificate).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit more research, and will start with the NZ Airforce as a starting point and work my way forward from there.

Even if he served in the UK, he could have still been in the RNZAF for the duration.
    Hope you are able to trace his service record.

Auckland War Memorial Museum has a mention of your grandfather with his service number here This may help you trace his NZ record.
    Looks like he traveled to Canada with many other members of the NZ airforce
    Maurice Powell
    Age - 22
    Born Wellington, New Zealand about 1921
    Arrival Date - 31 May 1943
    Port of Arrival - San Francisco, California
    Ship - Lurline
    Port of Departure - Wellington, New Zealand
    Last Residence - New Zealand

This is where you apply for service records

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi,

I just wanted to update this post and say thank you to everybody who responded.

I applied for his NZ service records and have just received them. I'm travelling at the moment so I haven't gone through them in detail (there are a lot) but I have found out that he was a pilot in the 201 Squadron and flew a Sunderland III.