Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: enlistment date

Default enlistment date

Im trying to find the date of enlistment of my great Uncle who died on the 9th April 1917 in France I know his service number and regiment and rank but would like to complete his story by finding out the date he enlisted. Any help appreciated.

For that, you usually need his service records. Unfortunately more than 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire during WW2. Sometimes one can get a rough idea from his medal index card if it specifies when he arrived at the Front. You can search for both sets of records on the commercial databanks such as Ancestry and Find My Past. If you don't have an account, you can watch for announcements of their free days, weekends or weeks that they periodically have. Alternatively, ask at your local library. Many of them have subscriptions for the use of their members.

However, without his name, Regiment and number, we can't even do a quick check to see what has survived.

PS Welcome to the british Genealogy Forum!

his name was Charles Edward Miller 20601 of the whiltshire regiment battalion 2

Ps thanks for the quick response

The Imperial War Museum site shows what was involved in changing from civilian to soldier HERE.

His service record is not listed among the survivors.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Although available on line, for a price, Soldiers Died in The Great War, is a series of volumes available in some libraries, including Bristol. The dead are listed by Regiment. The volume for the 2nd Battalion,Wilts Regiment shows that he enlisted in Devizes. It does not give a date, but there are sites which will show the dates when certain numbers were issued, so that should narrow things down.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

The Long Long Trail site may help with the service numbering https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...rch-a-soldier/
    and this https://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering.htm

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ok Guys thanks for your responses. I am after a British soldier from Whiltshire regiment battalion 2 Charles Edward Miller 20601 died 9th April 1917 in France. I just need an enlistment date as I have all other information

I don't know whether you have this. Doesn't help with the enlistment date.
    UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls,
    Charles Edward Miller
    Military Year - 1914-1920
    Rank - Private
    Medals awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps - Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment
    Regimental number - 20601
    Previous Units - 2nd Wilts R. 20601 Private.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

Regimental number - 20601
    What we can say is that another man with regimental number 20605 attested for the Wiltshire Regiment on 27 April 1915. You may want to take that as suggesting that your man enlisted on the same day or immediately before.

However, I don't honestly see how the accuracy of his enlistment date is going to add much to your knowledge of his time in the army.

What about the battalion's war diaries? Wouldn't it be interesting to read about the battalion's actions particularly at the time of his death?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast