Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for all your help. will try all your suggestions. much appreciated. Am determined to find Humphrey Maclachlan.

Hi Grisel. sorry am new to this, but what is SP? I figured FS is FamilySearch.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by BronwenP View Post
    Hi Grisel. sorry am new to this, but what is SP? I figured FS is FamilySearch.
    Sorry for that Bronwen
    SP is Scotland's people. It is the official gov BMD site for Scotland . It is pay to view but it is possible to get quite a lot of information from free searches. Family search have many good transcriptions of Scottish records but Scotland's people have the images. At the moment mainly church of Scotland and RC. Also censuses and Wills. Free cen is quite good for 1841 and 1851 in Scotland but not every place is covered.

Thanks for the idea re university of Edinburgh ! I contacted them and they did find his academic record. Was over the moon when I received their response. Humphrey Mclachlan completed a degree in Literature 1833-1837 then studied Divinity till 1840.He served for a year at the "High Church" , St Giles in Edinburgh.he is not listed on the list of ministers, but perhaps he left for South Africa to pursue his career in teaching instead.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by BronwenP View Post
    Thanks for the idea re university of Edinburgh ! I contacted them and they did find his academic record. Was over the moon when I received their response. Humphrey Mclachlan completed a degree in Literature 1833-1837 then studied Divinity till 1840.He served for a year at the "High Church" , St Giles in Edinburgh.he is not listed on the list of ministers, but perhaps he left for South Africa to pursue his career in teaching instead.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated!!
    That's great news.
    I wonder if he will be mentioned in the Kirk Session records for St Giles held at the National Records of Scotland. ref CH2/136 from the online catalogue. . This covers records from 1608 - 1967 but unfortunatsly the actual records are not available online. I don't think NRS will carry out research on your behalf but their website does have information about hiring researchers.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've been researching the McLauchlans for a long time, I have births of Humphrey's siblings but strangely his birth is not available. There is mention of him in his father John MclAuchlan's Will and That of his Mother on Scotlands People, i thought id transcribed it, but im just back home after working away and need to look at my research. His father was a Burgess, so i expect there are more detailed records of him. Ive been meaning to pop- down to the borders fHS at some point. My interest is not direct to the family group but another route led me to this family. My 3rd g grandfather was Samuel McLauchlan a baker from HAddington who marched on Lauder in 1831 with his band of merry men in order to cause disruption and kidnap James Maitland who was the Tory MP--long story, 1831 National reform act caused riots over britain. Anyway i have been to the national archives and found Samuel's trail papers and he had an alibi that he was visiting his cousin a MArgaret Robertson in Blainslie (village south of LAuder) her father was living with her in 1841 and was James McLAuchlan husband of the deceased JAnet Veitch. I never found the parents of my Samuel Mclauchlan but here was an Uncle. He had been a shepherd in the parish of Innerleithen. Then if you look at the births of hius children they are Innerleithen and Eddlestone (bordering on each other parishes). Now look at the children of John MclAuchlan And JAne Houliston - they are also born in th eparish of Innerleithen. Now John's son was Samuel - a Baker and my 3rd G Grandfather was a baker (born east lothian) so i have a strong belief Samuel Mclauchlan son of John and Jane are of the same lineage as my Samuel. Samuel, Humphreys broether also left wills, he was a n innkeeper lattery lin the village of Reston, Berwickshire. The amazing website of the national library of scotland has this broadside on my 3rd g grandfathers rioting - https://digital.nls.uk/broadsides/broadside.cfm/id/14575

Hi
    Thanks for your reply re Humphrey MacLachlan. I am interested to hear more about the MacLachlans. Please send me an email.
    Will email later , am on my way out
    Bronwen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi ive just joined after seeing this thread after googling so not sure how to email you, not good idea to post our email addresses on a forum

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I would say here that the family clearly are not originating in the Scottish borders with that surname. Its an Argyleshire name. There are not many in the borders, later there were irish Mclaughlans spelled with the gh. This family of McLauchlans originated in the parish of Innerleithen as far as the records go and were shepherds. I have walked these hills myself and the parish is very much a rural parish. Bordering onto Eddleston, Heriot and LAuder parishes. There was another mclauchlan family in Heriot - one Duncan McLAuchlan but i have found no evidence of a link to them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast