Thread: William Bailey

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Bailey

I have a brick wall.My great great Grandfather on my Fathers side.William Bailey born 1795 Husband Bodsworth Leicestershire UK to John Bailey & Ann lygor.William married Charlotte Jelly on 21st Oct 1822 they had 6 children. Then William disappeared Charlotte & the children were looked after by the Parish.Charlotte & the younger children came to Australia lived in Avoca Victoria.I have a copy of a will believed to be Williams he left all his goods to a John Salmon a Victualor in Piccadilly Circus.
    If you can give me any information on William I would be so happy.
    Regards Coral Stone

Hi Coral, can you confirm if William died or not? Why do you think that the William Bailey whose Will you mention is your William Bailey? If none of the children are mentioned, nor Charlotte his wife, then I don't think you can give much weight to this Will. The name William Bailey is not a unique name and so it will be hard to find the right William in this case. Because parish registers can be so unreliable, especially so with burials, your William might have died and you will never know. What occupation did he have? Why did he leave a Will; did he own land or a lot of personal or real estate? Where were all the children born? When did William allegedly disappear? What year did Charlotte come to Australia?

Hi, I have a few questions, the answers which will help us to help you

What is the date of the will?
    What year did Charlotte sail to Australia?
    Do you know for certain that William wasn't already in Aus and Charlotte went out to be with him?
    What are the names of the children who went to Aus, also approx years of birth?
    About what year did William disappear?
    Do you have either William or Charlotte, or both on a UK census?
    Alma

You probably have this, but in case you don't..................

Name: Charlotte Bailey
    Birth Year: abt 1798
    Death Place: Victoria
    Father's name: Jelly Thomas
    Registration Year: 1859
    Registration Place: Victoria
    Alma

There's a tree on Ancestry which has Charlotte sailing out on the 'Asia' 20 Sept 1854 • London
    And arriving Jan 1855 • Port Phillip, Victoria.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have a copy of an email sent to Andrew Bailey 3 years ago.He says William disappeared after the birth of his last child 1835..
    The only other reference he has is the Will.Dated16th Dec 1850 his address was 87 Humberstone Rd(possiblyHumberstone gate)leaves all his possessions to a Victualler John Salmon of Albermarls St Piccadilly Circus.Charlotte ends up "on the Parish".
    It would be interesting to find more about his Father John Bailey born 1771 born Leicestershire he was married to Ann Lygor.
    Thank you so much for your help Coral

janbooth

FindmyPast, a pay per view site, has the parish register images for Husbands Bosworth and has William's baptism, father John's burial in 1844, aged 75 & mother Ann's burial in 1841, aged 79. Can't give you full details I'm afraid because of their terms & conditions. Phillimore's Marriage Index of Duffield, Derbyshire shows the marriage on 18 September 1788 between John BAILEY & Ann LYGOR, no other details given. However the actual parish register image of the marriage is available to view via Family Search and was by banns. John made his mark, Ann signed & the witnesses were Mary HOLLOWAY & William WILMOT who both signed.

Unfortunately, John BAILEY is not a particularly uncommon name but given that Husbands Bosworth is very close to Lutterworth, you might like to consider the baptism of a John BAILEY at Lutterworth on 16 August 1772, father Thomas BAILEY - the 1841 census record for John does state that he was born in Leicestershire.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is this your family, Charlotte is a 'bit' old to be mother of the children, however looking at the return suggests she is 46 and not 66!

HO107; Piece: 597; Book: 17; Civil Parish: Claybrooke; County: Leicestershire; Enumeration District: 9a; Folio: 4; Page: 4
    Charlotte Bailey 66 Pauper
    Charles Bailey 15 ( Australia)
    Isaac Bailey 13 ( remained in UK)
    Sarah Bailey 9
    John Bailey 8
    William Bailey 6 ( Australia)