Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maltese serving in WW1

Hi all.

Have recently discovered my Grandfather served in WW1/WW2 & was looking at a picture of him with medals abreast.

From the picture I can evaluate he has the British War Medal, 1914-1918, The Defence Medal.

I am unsure about the Star Medal though, Also where would I start to research his service records?

If anyone is able to assist I would be much appreciative.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If your grandfather served in WW1 and continued in the services after 1921 his service record will still be with the MoD.
    This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application forms. You will need his death certificate and 30 pounds and some patience whilst you wait for delivery
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you a little about us and what we do.

60% + of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 but the Medal Roll Index cards and the Award and Medal records still exist. If you would like to tell us your grandfather's name we could take a look to see what is to be found. However as I said if he served after 1921 then his service records will be with the MoD.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Joe and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

If you give us the name and year of birth of your Grandfather we can try to help you.

ETA: Christina has given you a more comprehensive reply Follow her suggestions and ignore me, I'm tired it's way past my bedtime
    Alma

As the others have said, welcome in.
    I'll just add one extra point. In identifying medals, the ribbons are as important as the medal. There's a number of sites that show them side by side - maybe you can get some clues by looking at them...

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

I am confused by what he has, and not in the right order and maybe not right ribbons!
    Top row 1st one is probably this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_Medal
    2nd one??
    3rd one is British war medal for WW1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_War_Medal
    2nd row 1st one ribbon could be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_and_Germany_Star , but wrong medal
    2nd one ???
    3rd one is possibly Africa Star ribbon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Star but wrong medal.
    Cant see a defence medal ribbon- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenc...United_Kingdom) ?
    All a bit confusing
    I would hope his WW1 and WW2 service would be together, would they be with MOD?
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

It appears to be a hand-tinted photo so we should perhaps treat the colours of the ribbons with caution.

Thanks for everyone's advice thus far.

If anyone can investigate any further for me I would be much appreciated. I have searched for hours but still bewildered.

Name: Salvatore D'Anastasi
    Regimental Number: 9465
    Regiment or Corps: King's Own Malta Regiment of Militia

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    The only one shown on his WWI medal card is the War Medal, so presumably the others are from WWII the medal rolls for which don't seem to have been released yet.

Joe, do you have the original of that photo? If so, could you maybe make a scan that concentrates on the medals so that we can have a bigger image? At the moment, the 4 silver discs all look the same!

This is a snippet of information from the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920
    Salvatore D'Anastasi
    Military Year - 1914-1920
    Rank - Private
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal
    Regiment - King's Own Malta Regiment of Militia
    Regimental number 9465
    Sub Unit - 1st Battalion
    Previous Units - Have not Previously Served with any Other Unit or Corps. These men Proceeded to Cyprus with the Ist Bn. K.O.M.R.M. on 13-1-15.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast