Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Alice and John Eustace missing 1881 census

Hi I am looking for the above children John was born around 1880 London although he changes this to Brighton in the 1911 census. His sister Alice was about 1878 London this information is from the census of 1891 etc. The only census I cant find the in is the 1881 Can anyone check the 1881 census to see if I have missed them I know when I tried to transcribe this census some years back that the writing was a nightmare to read.

Reputation beyond repute

The 1891 census reference would have been welcome.

Famous for offering help & advice

I guess the 1891 might be

RG12 - Piece 1333 - Folio 91 - Page 3

Alice and John as niece and nephew of Mary Whitbread

Yes That's the correct family the reasons I didn't give the reference for other census is they moved around each time a census was taken
    Last edited by Jane Gee; 02-04-2017 at 3:44 PM. Reason: more info

Checked the GRO and found
    Alice Amy Eustace, reg'd Islington, Jan Qtr 1874, mother's maiden name Hughes
    John George Godfrey Eustace, reg'd Wandsworth, Sep Qtr 1878 - mother's maiden name Hughes

1881 - ref RG11 642 146 44

The age re. Alice doesn't fit the 1891 or 1901 Census. (Is her's and John's birthplace on the 1901 Census "Islington"?)

T
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Have now had chance to check 1891 Census for Alice, reg'd 1874 (#5) - see RG12 430 108 44 - which appears to rule them out as "your" Alice and John.

Can you confirm the 1901 birth place is "Islington".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi To be fair nothing about this family would surprise me they are supposed to be cousins of my grandmother but to date after 25 years of research I have not made a connection I was lucky enough to speak to John Eustace son in Canada many years ago (retired GP) but he didn't know anything about the family ie birthdate or where they were born.
    I will certainly look at this family to see if I can see a connection at all Thank you so much for your trouble it is very much appreciated.

janbooth

The 1911 census record for Alice EUSTACE shows her living with Elizabeth WHITBREAD at Wood Green and gives her birthplace as Camden Town. 1901 census shows her birthplace as Islington, 1891 census as London - helpful isn't she! I haven't managed to find any of them in the 1881 census with any certainty.

I cannot find a marriage between a WHITBREAD & an EUSTACE in the appropriate timescale on the GRO so far. It is interesting that through the census records of 1891/1901 & 1911 either Mary or Elizabeth have nieces Annie M Whitbread & Alice EUSTACE living with them and no parents in sight! I may be suspicious, but could the EUSTACE children & the Annie M WHITBREAD have been the illegitimate children of either Mary or Elizabeth. So far I have found no baptisms for any of the children nor birth registrations with any certainty. Looking at the parish register entry of the marriage of John EUSTACE to Agnes Ellen PARTRIDGE at Holy Trinity, Stepney on 6 March 1907 (source Ancestry's London Marriages) it shows his father to be John EUSTACE, Gentleman, and he seems conspicuous by his absence!

Elizabeth WHITBREAD is still living at 10 Trinity Road in the 1922 Electoral Registers. Previous to this Electoral Register she had been living by herself - no sign of niece Alice EUSTACE, but in this she is shown as living with an Augustus & Annie Mary GITTINGS - niece Annie Mary WHITBREAD married Francis Augustus GITTINGS in 1920, father shown as Thomas WHITBREAD, deceased (Ancestry's London Parish Registers). In 1926, they have been joined by a John Jeffrey WOODLAND and by 1929 a Louisa Morecroft GUSTERSON & Florence Louisa WOODLAND are also living at 10 Trinity Road. Louisa GUSTERSON is no longer there in 1930 and it looks as if Elizabeth WHITBREAD died prior to 1933 as she no longer shows up on the Electoral Registers. None of which is likely to be of any use to you in determining where, if at all, Alice & John fit into your family. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Hi Janet The extra people living with them in the Electoral registers is new to me so thank you so much for this Alice Eustace died in 1922 months before my father John Gittings was born in June 1923 unfortunately by the time I got to researching grandmother was dead and dad as much as he could only had very sketchy info. He said that the sisters took a Lenoard McCann in he stayed with them when and where he wasn't sure. He also mentioned a Charlie and a Tina visiting who the heck they were he didn't know!!!!!!
    It has always crossed our minds that there was something odd about my grandmothers upbringing around 1881 the Whiitbreads lived at Sonderbergh Road London and then suddenly moved all the way to Essex in 1891 and on to Osborne rd Forrest Gate which was quite well to do then I was told. They had a Dame school for a few years (grandma was supposed to have been born 1882) but that closed due to the new education act. I have gathered a lot of info on the Whitbreads certificates birth marr deaths and records for Bexley Asylum for Thomas Whitbreads wife Annie. Still nothing for grandma I continue to pursue the diferent parts of the family because I like a challenge and even though grandma might have been illegitmate or just plain under another name I may never know. Onwards and Upwards!

I have the wills for John Eustace who leaves his money to my dear children John and Alice Eustace. H In the 1891 census it shows john Eustace snr with his father described as "single" so were John and Alice illegitimate too!! When Alice dies in her will she adds a co-odicil she says to my "friends" Annie Gittings now I cant see how you would call your cousin my dear friend another mystery!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast