Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    so she would be the Mary Weston, baptised 1 June 1823, Stretton Magna. Six years older than her sister Catherine Weston.
    I only really mentioned that because I was trying to work out who Thomas & Hannah's eldest child might be - to get a handle on their marriage date.

If Hannah was 53 in 1851 and daughter Mary was born 1822/3, I guess we want a marriage c. 1816-22

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Her maiden name on the birth certificate of the children is Weston. Thomas was still around in 1860 so I am not sure about this one.
    Regardless of what surname the mother was known by, her maiden name would always be her birth family name.

It is not unknown for a couple to marry some time after the birth of their children.

I have someone in my tree who cohabited with someone with whom she had a child. When she eventually married she used her assumed name and called herself a widow. There never was an earlier marriage.

Have you found Catherine in 1851?

P S I see that the family were living in Radford in 1861. Coincidence or what?
    Last edited by brentor boy; 02-04-2017 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Additional information

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I don't know Leicestershire

a Hannah DAY married Thomas Weston - 1807 - Bitteswell, Leicestershire. I guess that's too early for you.

Hannah born c. 1784, Bitteswell
    Thomas desc as watchmaker & Hannah gave their year if birth as 1796 marriage circa 1816?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Thomas desc as watchmaker & Hannah gave their year if birth as 1796 marriage circa 1816?
    I don't know if that question is directed at me. You are obviously referring to a different Thomas & Hannah to the one you are quoting (who should be forgotten about).

Have you found a marriage of Thomas Weston to Hannah in 1816 ? What is Hannah's maiden name ?

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    From Free Reg:- Thomas Ludlam/Catherine Hunt. 2 October 1860. Radford Nottinghamshire. Father of the bride Thomas Weston.

Looks as if this is Catherine's second marriage.
    There is a HUNT connection in the family, could Catherine have had a momentary lapse???

1861 RG 9; Piece: 2285; Folio: 5; Page: 4;
    Samuel Hunt 37 widower
    James Hunt 14
    Ellen Hunt 10
    Samuel Hunt 8
    Thomas Weston 65

HO107; Piece: 2089; Folio: 196; Page: 6;
    Samuel Heent 26
    Elizabeth Heent 25
    James Heent 3
    Ellen Heent 1

There is also a Hunt with the Weston family in 1841
    Marriage 1845 look like the correct one.

I need the marriage ofThomas Ludlam and Catherine Weston. It would be around 1840-1852 in Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire. First child, Mary Ann, was born in 1852.
    Theresa, I think you should strongly consider the marriage below posted by brentor boy. As brentor boy suggests this could be a second marriage for Catherine, i.e. a first marriage to a Mr Hunt and second marriage to Thomas Ludlum. Note on the Ludlum /Hunt marriage Catherine's father is named Thomas Weston

From Free Reg:- Thomas Ludlam/Catherine Hunt. 2 October 1860. Radford Nottinghamshire. Father of the bride Thomas Weston.

Looks as if this is Catherine's second marriage.
    Her maiden name on the birth certificate of the children is Weston. Thomas was still around in 1860 so I am not sure about this one.
    Her maiden name would be entered as Weston if that was her birth surname
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Thomas was still around in 1860 so I am not sure about this one"

Regardless of what surname the mother was known by, her maiden name would always be her birth family name.

It is not unknown for a couple to marry some time after the birth of their children.

P S I see that the family were living in Radford in 1861. Coincidence or what?
    Marrying after the birth of children was not unknown (same as today), and for different reasons, one or both partners may not have been free to marry as they were married to someone else, or as in many cases they just didn't get round to it.
    Alma

There's another thread which mentions Catherine Weston and Thomas Ludlum. I'll post the link as I think merging the threads will cause confusion now, but some info already found may help with this query.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ism?highlight=

ETA: I have now closed the other thread and suggested any other info found be added here, as both threads have duplicate information.
    Alma

I need the marriage of Thomas Ludlam and Catherine Weston. It would be around 1840-1852 in Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire. First child, Mary Ann, was born in 1852.
    Can anyone find either Thomas Ludlum or Catherine (who could be Ludlum/Weston/Hunt) in 1851? If we can find either of them it will help, as we'll have a better idea of when they got together.

This is them in 1861:
    Hyson Green, Nottingham. RG 9; Piece: 2450; Folio: 70; Page: 20;
    Thomas Ludlam 46, framework knitter, Oadby Leicestershire
    Catherine Ludlam 33, Shelton Magna
    Mary A Ludlam 8 Sneaton, Notts
    Harriett Ludlam 20, Badby Leicestershire
    Agnes E Ludlam 6, Badby Leicestershire
    Alfred Ludlam 3, Leicester
    Catherine Ludlam 1, Notts
    Alma

1851HO107; Piece: 2129; Folio: 370; Page: 7; Radford Notts
    Siblings
    Joseph Weston 21
    Sarah Weston 24 wife
    Nathaniel Oto 19

In 1861 Thos & Catherine have a child 'Harriett' living with them b 1841, cross checking with the 1841 census, there is a William & Harriett living with Thomas & Elizabeth are these the children in 1851
    HO107; Piece: 2081; Folio: 127; Page: 16
    John Bishop 64
    Catherine Bishop 74
    Wm Ludlam 12
    Hannah Ludlam 10

HO107; Piece: 2081; Folio: 127; Page: 16
    John Bishop 64
    Catherine Bishop 74
    Wm Ludlam 12
    Hannah Ludlam 10
    That does look like them, Geneius.

You missed two people off, both described as 'visitor', but interestingly in 1841 Thomas and his first wife, Elizabeth, have a William Brunley age 2 with them, could he and Wm Brownlee be the same person!
    Wm Conry 62
    Wm Brownlee 13
    The copy on ancestry is very faint making the writing difficult to read, I've checked on another site which has a clearer copy and the two names above are Wm Bromley and Wm Geary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

1841, Oadby, Leicestershire. HO107; Piece: 599; Book: 6; Enumeration District: 10; Page: 1
    All born in County
    Thomas Ludlam 25
    Elizebeth Ludlam 25
    William Ludlam 3
    Harriott Ludlam 1
    James Hunt 45
    William Brunley 2

John and Catherine Bishop are living next door to Thomas in 1841, so that seems to confirm that the 1851 census is them, I wonder where the children's father, Thomas, is?

8th April 1822 at Oadby
    A John Bishop married Catherine Ludlam
    No ages given on cert, and it doesn't state either's marital status.
    Witnesses: Thomas Allens and Ann Ludlam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theresa, you mentioned the 1851 census on your other thread post#43 and I dismissed it as the children's names are Wm and Hannah, not Harriet. I apologise as I do think it is the right one now that other info has been found, too many coincidences for it not to be them. It is probable that when Catherine Ludlam married John Bishop she was a widow, and she is Thomas Ludlam's mother.

On census returns it's not uncommon for Hannah to be entered as Harriet, and vice versa
    Alma

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast