Thread: rats of tobruk

Default rats of tobruk

im looking for information on my husbands grandfather,

he was a rat of tobruk, im wondering if anyone has any info. his name was Ronald William odd. apart of the royal army service corps, 8th division if anyone could help or even lead me in the right direction.
    thank you so much

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hello Cristy87

Can you just clarify his name, Was it Ronald William Odd? or Ronald William (not Williams?) or is the 'odd' something to do with the royal army service corps.

Once we get an idea of the details there are people on here who will be able to tell you how to get some information.

It is still quite difficult to get WW2 records unless the person is deceased and you are next of kin and have a death certificate etc. It is expensive and it can be a long wait - but other people will be able to tell you better than I can.

Mrs P

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums cristy87
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading This will tell you a little about us.
    As Mrs Poppy has said WW11 service records are still held by the MoD. This 'sticky' explains and gives links, one of which is the site where you can download the application forms. As well as the death certificate and 30 pounds you will need patience as it takes a while for them to arrive.
    If you go to The National Archives site and use the red menu button to choose Research Guides A-Z from the from the dropdown menu then 'W' for war diaries you can search to see if there is one for your father's regiment and unit. You won't find his name mentioned but they will give you a general idea of time and place of their actions.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs