Default Maritime Regiment, Royal Artillery

Help please. My dad was in the Royal Artillery early in WW2, he was soon discharged as medically unfit. 5ft bugger all and 8 stone wringing wet! He was "best mates" with a Gunner Les Godden who was posted to 6th Maritime AA Battery. Dad saved what he told me was Les's last letter, in it he mentions being on survivors leave after being torpedoed and taking part in the invasion of North Africa at Oran. Dad always said he was lost on an Arctic Convoy but I have been unable to find out any more about it. I have his service number on the letter but can anyone suggest anywhere I can verify his possible loss. There is nothing on the CWGC site but apparantly records for the Maritime Regiment are sketchy.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I rather think that you have come to use from FWR, in which case you may find THIS message useful.
    I see that CWGC lists a Leading Stoker P/KX84509 Leslie John Godden of HMS Manchester who died 13 Aug 1942 and is listed on the Portsmouth Naval memorial. He's the only one that I can see.

Is there a date on the letter (that would limit the amount of time needing to be searched). His service number would also be useful.

(PS I see that HMS Mancheser was lost in the Med).

Hi Lesley and thank you for the prompt reply. Sadly there are no dates on the letters. (The other letter is just a letter between two guys, chatty but no information) The note mentioning the invasion of North Africa does place it after that event and it is has the appearence of being hastily written, in pencil, on a small page from a notebook. Perhaps just before being posted away? Fortunately it does have a service number, 11062378. The RA Maritime Regiment is not very well known, many have not even heard of it. Thanks again for your help.

I had a bit of a Google when my PC was on, and turned up a book and a couple of articles. Didn't keep the urls, unfortunately...

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Try the Thornbury & District Museum, apparently they have a Roll of Honour for the 181 dead of the 6th Regiment and are open on Saturdays. Also, try https://www.thornburyroots.co.uk/ and scroll down to two articles on the Maritime Regiment.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan