Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Sarah Pearce, nee Philbey - 1925

Having just received a PDF for the marriage of Sarah PHILBEY to James Pearce (18 July 1875, Gt Missenden Baptist Chapel) it would seem I have been wrong about Sarah's parents who I had thought were a James & Sophia. The certificate gives Sarah's father as labourer Freeman Philbey and gives Sarah's age in 1875 as 24 whereas I had thought she was born 1848.

Sarah (Pearce) died 7 June 1925, the death index says she was aged 76.

The 1881 census gives Sarah's birthplace as Great Missenden. Piece 1450/Folio 45/Page 18

Philbey sometimes get spelled Philby or even Filby. I can't find an 1851 birth on the GRO index for a Sarah Philbey. There's one in 1848 with MMN Wilkins in Amersham district.

There's a marriage of Freeman PHILBY in 1834 to Sarah KIBBLES in Wendover.

Any help in sorting this out would be very much appreciated. I'm 100% certain that I have the correct marriage certificate for my purposes.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

These are from BucksFHS-Great Missenden St Peter & St Paul. Transcripts CD.

Baptisms are not year of birth, as you know.

Baptism - 9 Apr 1848. Sarah, child of James & Sophia PHILBEY of Ballinger, Labourer.

Baptism - 4 Feb 1844. Sarah, daughter of Richard & Sarah PHILBEY of Ballinger, Tailor.

Baptism - 6 Jan 1839. Sarah, daughter of Joseph & Mary PHILBEY of Ballinger, Labourer.

Baptism - 14 Dec 1862. Sarah Ann, child of James & Mary PHILBEY of Great Missenden, Labourer.

Marriage - 19 Dec 1867. by Banns
    Edward MEAD, aged 26, Bachelor of Gt Missenden, Plait Dealer son of John Mead, Labourer
    Sarah FILBEY, aged 24, Spinster of Gt Missenden daughter of Richard Filbey, Farmer
    Witnesses - Solomon Smith & Mary Ann Smith.

Marriage - 21 Nov 1875. by Banns.
    Edward WARNER, aged 26, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Bricklayer son of James Warner, Bricklayer
    Sarah(x)PHILBEY, aged 25, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of James Philbey, Labourer
    Witnesses - William Warner & Susan X Warner.

Marriage -19 Dec 1882. by Banns.
    Evan KEMPSTER, aged 21, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Labourer son of Henry Kempster, Labourer
    Sarah PHILBEY, aged 21, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of James Philbey, Labourer
    Witnesses George Tuffney Sarah Ann Woodley

Marriage - 12 Oct 1841. by Banns.
    James X PHILBEY, aged 24, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Labourer son of Freeman Philbey, Labourer
    Sophia X WILKINSON, aged 19, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of George Wilkinson, Labourer
    Witnesses - James X King Joseph Fassnidg.
    Birth reg for Sarah Philbey 1848. Amersham. mmn of WILKINS.

Marriage - 30 Oct 1847 by Banns
    Ephraim X PHILBY, aged 30, Bachelor of Priestwood, Labourer son of Freedom Philby, Labourer
    Sophia X PENN, aged 22, Spinster of Priestwood daughter of John Penn, Labourer
    Witnesses William X Penn Ann X Penn

Marriage - 21 Mar 1862. by Banns.
    James PHILBEY, aged 25, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Labourer son of Richard Philbey, Publican
    Mary(x)PARSONS, aged 23, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of John Parsons, Labourer
    Witnesses - Jacob Darvill & Emma X Philbey

Marriage 3 Oct 1874 by Banns
    John COLLINS, aged 21, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Shoemaker son of George Collins, Shoemaker
    Harriet PHILBEY, aged 22, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of Freeman Philbey, Labourer
    Witnesses- William Philbey Sarah Philbey.

I'll check BucksFHS Wendover CD for other records.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

thanks for all of that Steve. I think the most useful thing on that list is the last marriage since John Collins appears as a witness on this PDF for Sarah Philbey's marriage to James Pearce (the other witness is Rachel Darvill).

I guess I can discount all those baptisms if I'm taking Freeman Philbey as the correct father's name for Sarah.

Nothing really pertinent in Wendover really. However, there was this in John the Baptist PR's @ The Lee....(in between Great Missenden & Wendover).

Baptism - 22 May 1785. Freeman son of John & Hester PHILBEY.

Burial - 4 Mar 1877 Freeman FILBY aged 77 of Missenden.

There appears to two Freeman Philby's in the census returns....one c1791 and the other c1794....born Chesham, Bucks. One married to a Sarah, the other a pauper in Amersham Union House. , or Buckland Common.

I guess I'm heading for Buckland Common now.

Steve.

that Harriet Philbey aged 22 in 1874 marrying John Collins matches with an 1871 census ( I don't have the reference numbers) which has

Freeman Philbey born 1804
    wife Sarah born 1815
    daughter Sarah born 1848
    son William born 1850
    daughter Harriett born 1852

the address for both James Pearce and Sarah Philbey on this PDF marriage certificate is Lee Common, Great Missenden

there's an 1861 census - RG09 / Piece 844 / Folio 46 / Page 10

Freeman born 1813
    Sarah born 1816
    Emma born 1844
    William born 1851
    Harriet born 1852

daughter Sarah missing (if its the same family)

The Lee.
    Burial- 16 Nov 1891. Sarah PHILBY aged 79 of Lee Common, Gt Missenden.

Great Missenden.
    Burial - 26 Mar 1867. James PHILBEY aged 63 of Great Missenden.
    Burial - 2 Jul 1891. James PHILBEY aged 66 of Great Missenden.
    Burial - 24 Jun 1892. James PHILBEY aged 76 of Gt Hampden.
    Burial - 28 Jul 1878. Sophia PHILBEY aged 59 of Great Missenden

Baptism - 25 Nov 1823. Sophia, daughter of George & Ann WILKINSON of Wood Corner, Labourer.

Great Missenden - Marriage - 4 Oct 1822. by Banns
    George(x)WILKINSON, Bachelor of of this parish
    Ann(x)KING, Spinster of of this parish
    Witnesses - James(x)Bennett, Martha(x)Bristow & Thomas Evans

Baptism @ The Lee. - 20 Dec 1807. Freman, born 8 Oct 1807 son of Freman & Sarah FILBY.

I think your options are, to get all the Baptisms for Bucks, for your Sarah Philby. Also marriages for Freeman Philby This will cost £2 for both, via BucksFHS. It will NOT include register office marriages.

Marriage information post 1837, will be almost identical to a cert.

I do not have enough CD's to cover all areas(all have not been published to CD or paper), but BucksFHS should have them in their Databases.

At present, I'm just trying to give you what I've found, as my access to Census etc is limited. So you may have to sift through it all.

Steve.

I forgot to mention, the BucksFHS searches are for a 100 year period, up to 1901, but back to 1538 ish.

Steve.

Hmmmm. Just looked at the 1871 census, which includes Freeman, Sarah, 'children', Sarah, William * Harriette. Are they really children, or Grandchildren.

Then I looked for marriage for William Philby.

Great Missenden Marriage - 6 Apr 1875 by Banns
    William(x)PHILBEY, aged 21, Bachelor of Great Missenden, Labourer son of James Philbey, Labourer
    Sarah(x)TERRY, aged 22, Spinster of Great Missenden daughter of William Terry, Labourer
    Witnesses - James Cooley & Hannah(x)Cooley.

I'm not sure if I'm helping, or confusing that matter.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    there's an 1861 census - RG09 / Piece 844 / Folio 46 / Page 10

Freeman born 1813
    Sarah born 1816
    Emma born 1844
    William born 1851
    Harriet born 1852

daughter Sarah missing (if its the same family)
    In 1861 Sarah is with her sister, Elizabeth, who is now married. They're in Great Missenden
    RG 9; Piece: 844; Folio: 47; Page: 11.
    George Hearne 24
    Elizabeth Hearne 26
    Fredric Hearne 2
    Sarah Jane Hearne 7/12
    Sarah Philby 13

HEARN, SARAH JANE, MMN PHILBEY

GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 319

Marriages Dec 1858, Wycombe, vol 3a page 605
    George Hearn
    Elizabeth Philby

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJJM-5HL