Thread: Cohen

Starting to feel at home

Default Cohen

I am desperate to find the maiden name of Yetta (Henrietta?) Cohen married to Barnett Israel Cohen of 18 Booth street, Spittalfields in around 1881.
    Thank you if this is possible
    Jaqui Gee Sylvan

I wonder if this is the marriage!

Marriages Jun 1885, Mile End, vol 1c page 976.
    Barnett Cohen and also listed Zetta Adelbaum
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

sadly I dont think so. I have a census from 1871 for them with children. So Im assuming they were born 1838 +-
    I'm also not sure if they were born in UK. Maybe I need to find their entry to UK at around that time?

Starting to feel at home

Default Cohen

So I looked online and there may be a Yetta Cohen death age 79 district Edmonton Vol 3a Pg 423 which may be her and have her fathers name on it? OMG that would be the best

You won't get the names of parents on English death certificates unfortunately.
    1881 census RG11 Piece 439 Folio 25 Page 43
    66 Hanbury St, Mile End Old Town, Whitechapel
    Barnett Cohen 40 capmaker born Poland
    Yetty Cohen 40 Poland
    Louis Cohen 19 Poland
    Milly Cohen 15 Poland
    Moses Cohen 12 Poland
    Leah Cohen 9 Spitalfields
    Sarah 7 Spitalfields
    Abraham 11 months Spitalfields

Working from this I thought it would be an easy exercise to use the GRO index to find the mother's maiden name for the birth registration of one of the children born Spitalfields. Bah. There are at least 3 birth registrations for each one of them that it could be!
    Now we know Abraham was born 1880 so you can order the birth certificate for him giving the birth year of 1880 but don't give the vol and page number. On the next page in the box provided state that the father's name must be Barnett Cohen (thank goodness for unusual names) possible occupation capmaker.
    The GRO will search 1880 +/- 1year either side. If they can't find it you get a refund.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a tree on ancestry which has the mother's maiden name as Freidman and there is a birth registration for an Abraham Cohen June 1/4 1880 mmn Freidman. As the 1881 census was taken on the 3 April this birth reg would fit with the age of 11 months. The other 4 birth registrations are either in the wrong area or too late or too early in the year.
    By using the GRO free index(you have to register You can check the other births in the Spitalfields area to see if they have the mother's maiden name Freidman
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Default Friedman tree

Please can you tell me the tree with Friedman as the maiden name of Yetta? Thank you again

The owner of the tree is dmradian1 and the tree is Arrigo/Muradian tree. They have the same censuses that I found but they have Barnett's first name as Hyman. So if you are searching for it from the search page type in Hyman Barnett Cohen and then it should pop up in the list of trees.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

thank you. I was hoping it would be another family tree. I have been in touch with them previously. I would love their tree to be attached to mine, but I think they are not. Their Abraham is much younger than my Abraham. (trying to connect to Louis is the issue here). BUT I will look again at this... thank you so much for everything.

Starting to feel at home

a new day, Clearer head. I see you are correct!! the Simon Abraham in the census is the lodger! not the son. WHEW!