Default WW2 Middlesex regiment

Hi. First time on here.
    I'm looking for information about a relative who served in Middlesex regiment in WW2. I have his army number and dates. I cannot find any reference to him on Ancestry, FMP or Forces war records. Am I likely to or will I have to pay for his records from MOD?

Really just wondering what I am likely to find without paying.

Any advice welcome.

The MOD hasn't released service records from 1921 or after for online publication, you'll have to get them from MoOD.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Not much, unless he died in the war, was acknowledged for his gallantry or was an officer. The only other thing is his service records, which you have to buy.
    Once you know his regiment/s, then you can look at war diaries (again either pay someone to copy or go to NA UK and look at them yourself)
    Hope this helps

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

A fountain of knowledge

Generally speaking you'll possibly find the following outside the MOD:

Gallantry awards, POW lists & rolls, Wounded/missing reports, RAF aircraft crash reports, Ship sinking reports, Workplaces, Schools & universities rolls of service, and death registers.

Anyone who had an (ahem) 'uneventful (read:lucky) war' is likely to only have the service record however.

Even for those things above most commercial sites will charge you, although it's possible you can find a few snippets in an index and go directly to the national archives or regimental musuems who are all pretty much free to use, as long as you go to them of course.