Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Google. Type in "Caledonia Terrace" poplar Then look for results London Gazette page 3580 1849. Note: put " " around Caledonia Terrace
    Last edited by Peter_NB; 28-03-2017 at 3:07 PM. Reason: typo

Starting to feel at home

Another look at the location. This link shows Jeremiah Street. Moving South, Jeremiah Street ends at East India.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102908263

The London Blitz map has a High Explosive device in or near Duff Street. A look around on Google streets shows that many of the streets have been realigned and except for the Seaman's Mission nothing much that is old, remains. This could be a result of WWII damage and/or the developments that went on in the 60's.

I haven't searched anything on the Seaman's Mission, any other maps or a census search for Caledonia Terrace. The area is/was known as Poplar and looking at typical social history for the area it is likely the accommodation could be considered poor by the 1900's at the latest.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by swendeperle82 View Post
    Also, all references that I can find to Caledonia Terrace point towards Chelsea, not Poplar??
    I think the 1911 Census shown with the word "Poplar" and the names of adjacent streets within the same census district eliminate Chelsea. A Caledonia Terrace is listed in Chelsea, but the name was changed in 1912.

https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/Str...reet_Names.htm

Looking again at the courts papers I mentioned before, there is reference to Caledonia Terrace, East India Road. Perhaps a look at all earlier census returns would help close down the area.

(apologies for multiple postings but multi tasking and the edit facility timing out prevents me merging them)

Have been ploughing through old London maps at MAPCO https://www.mapco.net/london.htm but yet to spot a Caledonia Road, Poplar but you can find Jeremiah Street.
    That it's Poplar in no doubt - one of the 1911 addresses reads "No 6 Caledonia Terrace, East India Road, Poplar". Unfortunately, the 1911 Census addresses don't deliver Enumerator's list under "Related Images" (FMP)

An item in the London Evening Standard 25 July 1894 -
    "Messrs C.C and T. Moore will sell by AUCTION, at the Mart, on Thursday Aug 2, at Two, in Two Lots, the FOUR FREEHOLD HOUSES Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 Caledonia Terrace, Jeremiah Street and No 1 Duff Street, East India Road ...."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    An item in the London Evening Standard 25 July 1894 -
    "Messrs C.C and T. Moore will sell by AUCTION, at the Mart, on Thursday Aug 2, at Two, in Two Lots, the FOUR FREEHOLD HOUSES Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 Caledonia Terrace, Jeremiah Street and No 1 Duff Street, East India Road ...."
    Re your link to London Maps. Detail here: https://london1868.com/weller48.htm

I would think there is little doubt that Caledonia Terrace was in this locality.

Reputation beyond repute

Caledonia Terrace was a row of houses (terraced houses presumably) on Jeremiah Street.

Agreed - part of Jeremiah Street.
    The Seaman's rescue mission still there on Jeremiah Street but little else of the old days (streetview).

The 1901 Census runs (Schedule nos. in brackets)-
    (139) 23 Duff Street
    (140 - 150) 1-9 Rigden Street
    (151 - 152) 9-8 Rigden Street
    (153 - 158) 1-4 Carter's Terrace
    (160 - 167) 1-4 Caledonia Terrace
    (168 - 192) 1-37 Jeremiah Street
    (193 - 202) 16-2 Jeremiah Street
    (203) 1 Augusta Street

This map identifies Duff, Jeremiah and Augusta - but exactly where Carter and Caledonia lay unable to pinpoint exactly.
    https://www.mapco.net/bart1908/bart38b.htm

"Historical Directories" not delivering either.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've just found this old post from 2017. It's very helpful as I have just been searching for 1 Caledonia Terrace in Jeremiah Street! Two generations of my family lived in the house until WWII (after which the house must have been demolished).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12