Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Ellis and Hannah Furth of Rawcliffe

I am researching the ELLIS family of Rawcliffe and Rawcliffe Bridge (WRY) area. I am especially interested in William Ellis who married Hannah Furth and their family. I started this research in 2002. I am hoping to find other family members online!

William ELLIS was born in 1755 in West Yorkshire, exact location is still unknown to me. William drowned in1800 (an inquest was held, he was 45) and was buried on January 28 1800 in Rawcliffe. His occupations were Labourer (Circa 1792), Labourer, Pauper (Circa 1783 To 1787), Bank Maker (Circa 1777). The family’s religion was Church of England.

November 30 1776 William married Hannah Furth, in Thorne Yorkshire. She was born in 1755, location unknown. Hannah died in Rawcliffe in 1825; she was 70.

They had the following children:

Mary (1777-1842). On 11 Nov 1794 Mary married Thomas GRAVES,
    Elizabeth (1779-?)
    William (1781-1782)
    William (1783-1836). On 23 Jul 1805 William married Mary ELLERTHORPE. I am related through this union.
    Ann (1785-?)
    Abraham (1787-1826). On 19 Jan 1807 Abraham married Martha BOTTOMS
    Thomas (1788-1788)
    Thomas (1789-?). On 3 Oct 1809 Thomas married Mary COLEWELL
    Hannah (1792-1867). On 25 Apr 1824 Hannah married Thomas ECCLES
    Frances (1794-1858). On 22 Jun 1819 Fanny married Henry GOODALL
    John (1796-1849). On 3 Mar 1818 John married Mary MOODY
    Samuel (1799-1873). On 29 Dec 1818 Samuel married Betty HOLLAND

I would be happy to share information with another family member.

Cheers,

Bill Ellis

-------------------------------------------------------
    Research:

ELLIS from Rawcliffe and Rawcliffe Bridge, West Riding Yorkshire, England

ELLIS from Claremont, Pickering Township, Ontario County, Canada

Surnames: Ellis, Furth, Graves, Ellerthorpe, Bottoms, Colewell, Eccles, Goodall, Moody, Holland, Ward, Foulds

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Bill.
    I have moved your research question to the Yorkshire forum because "Surname Interests" is only intended for registering your interest in a given name. After a short period, the threads lock and can't be answered.
    Good luck!

Knowledgeable and helpful

You may be looking in slightly the wrong place. Rawcliffe and Rawcliffe Bridge, according to Google maps, are in the East Riding of Yorkshire, a few miles from Goole.

Emeltee

Knowledgeable and helpful

Disregard my last post. The more I look the more confused I am. Depending on which site you look at Torne and Rawcliffe are either East or West Riding. I give up.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

November 30 1776 William married Hannah Furth, in Thorne Yorkshire
    I was wondering what your source was. I'm looking at the parish register for Thorne and the marriage was on 30 November 1775. The groom's occupation is shown as cordwainer although you've otherwise shown him as a labourer. I dare say you've checked by other means that this is the right marriage

janbooth

Peter is correct in the occupation shown for William ELLIS on his marriage record - which is available to look at on FindmyPast a pay per view site. One of the witnesses to the marriage could help in your search for the birthplace/baptismal record for Hannah. There is a marriage at Thorne in 1763 for a Mary FIRTH, which could also prove relevant to you.

It could well be that William ELLIS did indeed hail from Thorne as there are several ELLIS marriages there from 1754 onwards. I did notice that a William ELLIS appears in the Apprenticeship Indenture lists on Ancestry as a Master Blacksmith in Thorne (Ancestry have transcribed it as being in Durham which could be somewhat misleading). He takes on as an apprentice Thomas GOODRIDGE in January 1730. I wonder if he is connected to your William in some way.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

THANK YOU Peter and Janet. 1776 was a typo on my part. Here in Canada, I only have access to Family Search, Ancestry and LDS films. I have only seen, and taken a copy of, the marriage registry for Thorne listing names, dates and marriages by banns or license (I have never seen the actual record). In it as well I have searched for birth and deaths for said Hannah and William and found neither. My William was a labourer and a banker clearing local cloughs. I have never seen a cordwainer of blacksmith in the family. His children were farmers and labourers. I have searched records for Hannah and William (for birth and marriage) in Snaith and Rawcliffe using the same three sources finding nothing. Some of these records are unreadable as the pages are heavily damaged. Maybe, at one time, what I am after was there, but not today. As for the "FindmyPast" site, I know nothing about it. Maybe this Thorne couple is not part of my family. More to think about....

Maybe this Thorne couple is not part of my family.
    Hi Decoy Farm,

Can you tell us how you got back to the marriage between William Ellis and Hannah Firth as it does seem they may not be your ancestors, doesn't it?

If you have a census return with members of this ancestral line please will you post it here, and we can then try and help to establish ancestors further back down the line.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Great idea ALMACH.

Back when I started my research, I joined the Doncaster and District Family History Society. I wanted to help the society, but living in Canada I was limited in what I could do. I ended up helping them with their digital transcripts (baptisms, marriage, burials, headstones inscriptions, national census, village records, etc.) to make Genealogical Data CDs to sell. I too the digitized material and made PDF books with them. Over the years I worked on 76 projects. These files lead me directly to original documents related to me. I have solid data, and lots of it, on all of William and Hannah’s children.

For my William and Hannah I have village records and church burial records. For all of their children I usually have both listed in their baptism records. From the birth of their fits child I guesstimated the marriage year. For latter records I estimated their birth year. The location of their birth, birth date, place of marriage and marriage date, including Hannah’s surname are still a mystery.

As all of you know older records have pages damaged from water, mould, wear or torn, etc, making them totally unreadable. The further back I goI am finding more and more pages like this. I have searched Rawcliffe and the surrounding villages (including the Snaith records) for the birth and marriage of my William and Hannah. Maybe what I am after is on one of these obliterated pages never to be read again. Or maybe I have just not found the record yet.

I threw a message in the site hoping to get a response questioning my data with fact. And that is exactly what happened. Two people have seen the original marriage record that includes the occupation of the groom. This occupation does not fit my William. I have only had access to, through LDS films, to the marriage registry, that only had the date and people being married. I searched the Thorne records and never found the birth or death records for William and Hannah. Maybe they were on obliterated pages, who knows.

Online searches always got me to William Ellis’ and Hannah Furth’s 1775 marriage. Thorne was only 6 miles from Rawcliffe. It was possible. What I did not like was there was no other data to substance it. janbooth and Peter’s posts gave me something solid to put this union aside for now.

More research will be done but where is another question. I registered today on Findmypast.com and searched for William Ellis born circa 1750’ish and found nothing new. Most of what was listed I had already found and have documented for the most part. Maybe if I joined with a premium package more documents would be available that are not not shown by just registering. I do not know.

Regardless, I learned something valuable by joining this site and I am grateful.

Cheers.