Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Thank you - I have been having another look at what I can, I am signing up for some proper access next week so that will make it easier. Plus some certificates are needed I think.

Mrs P

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Exeter Flying Post 06 March 1851

A Thomas Lillicrap was sentenced to 10 months imprisonment for stealing 20lbs of brass
    Devon County Prison
    Thomas Lillicrapp
    Estimated birth year:abt 1835
    Relation: Prisoner
    Where born: Tavistock, Devon, England

Maybe not your man but seems young to stealing Brass and in an adult prison? Blacksmith journeyman maybe knows about Brass

Sorry, Mrs P, I haven't found Thomas in 1851.

The only 'spare' Thomas Lillicrap I can find in 1851 is a butler, married, but born 1814 Stoke Damerel. I haven't found him in other census returns.
    HO107; Piece: 1669; Folio: 780; Page: 17
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Missing Thomas

Urania

Birth reg Chichester 1850

Baptised South Bersted Sussex 14 July 1850

Mother and children back in Southampton by 30 March 1851

I did note quite a few Lilycrap etc births with mmn BAKER in the Bridgwater Union.

Thank you Almach for looking for 1851 - did wonder for a start if he was in prison on the date of the 1851 census going by the information that Geneius found but I noticed it said he was only 16.

I jumped for joy when I first found the name Lillycrapp as I didn't realise there were 301 Thomas Lillycrapp/variations. Ha.. family history.

Geneius - birth of Urania to the 1851 census does mean they moved in that short time frame doesn't it. On my long list is now the birth certificate of Urania as I am curious to see what address and occupation the family were at.

I also need to check out the GRO for births with MMN of Baker.

I realised going back over research that I had actually got a copy of the accident in the sugar mill, I have some access to the newspapers through the library system and they are not as comprehensive as the pay per view sites. I have a copy of an article from the 'Era' newspaper of Nov 23rd 1862 which describes the accident but names the man as 'James Lillicrapp'. I had put it on one side as a piece of interest but hadn't thought it might be Thomas even though it was the correct year. I have checked freebmd and there is no death that I can see for a James Lillicrapp so it has to be my Thomas and the newspaper article you found has his name correct.

A similar thing occurs with Elizabeth Ann's death announcement in the newspaper in 1869, it says 'at Haslar Elizabeth Ann Lillycrapp eldest daughter of the late Thomas Parker, baker of Fareham - her father was not Thomas Parker a baker who lived in Fareham but was in fact 'Thomas Parker Baker' of Fareham. If I had not already known that the newspaper announcement could have had me puzzled. That one out of place comma turned his name into something else entirely.

Mrs P

I have Lillicrops' (various spellings) in my family tree. They were from near Merton and Hatherleigh, Devonshire.

Hello Darcy Martin

Thank you for your post. My main Lillycrapps are from Southampton and then moving into the Nottingham area. I will keep a look out when I revisit the research to see if Merton or Hatherleigh come up.

Mrs P

I'd appreciate that. Thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123