Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Christopher Waugh

Mary Jane Waugh was his daughter and born in N Z on the 3rd October 1873. She is my great grandmother.

I would be interested to know if I should be replying to one person only. Like this site I am becoming very confused as to who am I writing to. No one is giving me a chance to answer queries. Everyone appears to be jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by shaste View Post
    I would be interested to know if I should be replying to one person only. Like this site I am becoming very confused as to who am I writing to. No one is giving me a chance to answer queries. Everyone appears to be jumping in.
    It's a public forum. Most people just answer. That is how forums work. Anyone who thinks they can help will do so. The advantage is that everyone can see what has already been checked. There is nothing more irritating than spending time trying to help someone, and then getting the message Ď knew that already"... Given help often sparks a bit of help from someone else, as well.

If you want to answer a specific message, just quote the number at the top right corner of that message - now I'm answering your message #32. Alternatively, do what I've just done and click "reply with quote" (bottom right) on the message that you want to answer.

Dundee10

Mary Jane Waugh was his daughter and born in N Z on the 3rd October 1873. She is my great grandmother.
    The only Mary Jane mentioned in this thread so far is the daughter of Richard and Diana who was born and baptised in 1839.

Her birth in the Army Register of Births (No. 2217) was registered in 1839 with the child not named.

This is the corresponding baptism to that birth:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post

Name Mary Jane Waugh
    Gender Female
    Christening Date 08 Dec 1839
    Christening Place SAINT MARY MAGDALENE,WOOLWICH,KENT,ENGLAND
    Birth Date 25 Nov 1839
    Father's Name Richard Waugh
    Mother's Name Diana
    You seem to think that the birth was for your Christopher, but that is obviously incorrect.

Christopher Waugh was born 25 Oct 1839. entry no 2217.
    An entry is in Army Register Book of births and baptisms.
    Rank of Father. - Private

Dundee10

As already advised, you need to get the 1862 marriage certificate for Christopher and Esther which will give you a name and occupation for his father. You also need to get the NZ birth certificate for this child to see where Christopher says he was born (none of the earlier certificates will give that information):

1880/19584
    WAUGH, Thomas Smith
    Parents Esther and Christopher

Documentation is always the key to successfully and correctly tracing your family.

Hello Shaste,

I appreciate this thread may appear confusing to someone not used to public forums, but give yourself a lttle time and you will soon be familiarised with how the forum works. Look at it this way: all answers are collective knowledge, one person finds one piece of information, another finds something else, and between them a picture is built.

Take a deep breath, read and absorb your thread from beginning to end and all will hopefully fall into place. I must stress however that you really do need to get Christopher and Esthers marriage certificate, without it you cannot take your ancestry back in time.

Please be aware we want to help you, we are not trying to make your research difficult, our concern is for you to follow the right family line. You have the benefit of some very experienced researchers here.

And do remember we were all new to forums once, therefore we understand your bewilderment.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Could everyone please hold off posting anything further in the thread until I have a chance to get back in a couple of hours time (got a visitor due any minute )

The exception being Sharon if she has the marriage certificate of Christopher and Esther, and can tell us all the details on it, and/or the birth certificate of Thomas and again can tell us all the details on it.

Thanks.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Firstly, apologies for forgetting I was supposed to return to my computer immediately my visitor had left instead of faffing about watching telly and eating.

Secondly, thank you to everyone who has contributed help to this thread. In Sharon's defence I admit that I did go when first reading it, but then my years of training in reading rambling BG threads kicked in.

Sharon, we're going to go back to the beginning, and then do baby steps because, like (some of) the others, I'm concerned that you may have some wrong information/beliefs.

Your original post said
    My relative Christopher Waugh married Esther Smith 1862 Durham. HIs parents were Richard and Diana Morley Waugh.
    I would love more information about Christopher's parents.
    I appreciate any help.
    Christopher is my Great, Great Grandfather.
    Almach (post #2) then asked

Hi Sharon, could we have a little more info please. When and where was Christopher born? Have you found him on any census? What are the names of his children and when/where were they born? Do you know what his occupation was, did he continue to live in Durham after his marriage?
    while Pamela Wagstaff (post #3) asked
    Where did the parents name come from? I ask because there is a tree on Ancestry with different parents names.
    You reply to these questions was post #14, titled 'I Have a certified copy of an entry of birth' and you said
    My media item report tells me. Christopher Waugh was born 25 Oct 1839. entry no 2217.
    His parents are as I listed.
    An entry is in Army Register Book of births and baptisms.
    Rank of Father. - Private
    Christopher Waugh married Esther Smith. Had 1 child George and went to New Zealand. more children there which I have all details on.
    Thanks for your help.

ps He personally told his family that was where they were from. Cornwall.
    Does your 'certified copy of an entry of birth' look like (or very similar to) this:
    www.
    google.co.uk/search?q=image+of+english+birth+certificate&client =firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&imgil=JUTOLp3DbsQZbM%253A%253BNrwKe_4L GHPbvM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fhelp.secureid entity.co.uk%25252Fhc%25252Fen-gb%25252Farticles%25252F206777709-UK-Birth-Certificate&source=iu&pf=m&fir=JUTOLp3DbsQZbM%253A %252CNrwKe_4LGHPbvM%252C_&usg=__lE-mZbqE3hOIfmB_ye76znXh1V0%3D&biw=1291&bih=681&ved=0 ahUKEwiC547e9vTSAhVkC8AKHcoUCaoQyjcIOw&ei=ixnYWML1 CeSWgAbKqaTQCg#imgrc=3oPCClkUUHsU5M:
    (Copy and paste the bit beginning google. Sorry it's so long.)

If it does, starting at the top with the registration district, what are the exact details on it? (You can omit the name of the Registrar.)

Part two to follow shortly . . . . .

Pam

Sharon,

We all know that family history can be an expensive hobby and usually the golden rule is 'always buy BMD certificates for your direct ancestors' though sometimes you can find alternative proof which will suffice. e.g. a baptism entry with a birth date which corresponds to the birth registration quarter. With siblings and other twigs you can usually get away with just referring to BMD years and quarters.

Various people have asked if you have the marriage certificate of Christopher and Esther.
    This is because the usual procedure to finding someone's unknown parents is to get the marriage certificate which will hopefully give you ages of the bride and groom and their occupations, plus their father's names and their occupations. It's a basis which doesn't always work because unfortunately our ancestors often told blooming great big fibs. Sometimes to cover their tracks, sometimes because they really did not know the true answer(s). One of the most common is inventing a father because of illegitimacy.

In your case you have to obtain Christopher's and Esther's marriage certificate if you want to progress further back with any certainty.
    The good news is that until possibly 12 April you can get a slightly cheaper copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO, sent as a PDF by email. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    The details you need to enter are
    Christopher's name and surname. (Esther's are not necessary.)
    Year: 1862
    Quarter: Jan/Feb/Mar
    Registration district: Auckland
    Volume number: 10a
    Page number: 141
    Make sure that you click the PDF certificate option.

I am, of course, assuming you don't currently have a copy of the certificate.
    If by some happy chance you do, then please tell us all the details on it, starting with the registration district at the top.

Once we know the details on that certificate then we can take the next step.

Pam

Sharon,

I have no knowledge of NZ BMD certificates but Dundee10 obviously has, so you need to follow their advice in post #35 where, in addition to saying that you need Christopher's marriage certificate
    You also need to get the NZ birth certificate for this child to see where Christopher says he was born (none of the earlier certificates will give that information):

1880/19584
    WAUGH, Thomas Smith
    Parents Esther and Christopher
    Sometimes children's names followed a naming pattern, or at least used family names, so could you tell us the names of Christopher and Esther's children.

Pam

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast