Starting to feel at home

Default Ashford, Staines 1911 onwards

Dear all, can anyone tell me where and how I would find school records for Ashford, Staines? My mother's family left Weston Turville in September 1911 (from school records) and were in Ashford, Staines by June 1914 (but I'm not sure whether they lived anywhere else in between). I'm hoping school records will help me fill in the gaps and timetable.

Thanks and regards

Lesley (New Zealand)

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Lesley

A good place to start if the main sites like A and FMP don't have anything is the National Archives Site. Go to the Discovery search and it may tell you where the records are held.

I am a massive devotee of the online and archive newspapers so don't forget to search those on the relevant sites. Put the name of the school in or your family names and you may get some hits. I have found some of my lot winning prizes for attendance and sporting events in the newspapers. Only small mentions but it all builds a picture.

Mrs P

Reputation beyond repute

how I would find school records for Ashford, Staines?
    Surrey History Centre probably. You could have a look at the badly named "National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914" on FMP.

Records are unlikely to be available online (and survival is patchy anyway). It's most likely that you would have to commission some research. Is what you're likely to find really worth it?

Have you got the name of a school? Have you checked catchment areas for the 1914 address?

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Peter, I have found some relevant school records on FMP (Weston Turville) which is what spurred me on to try to find more as a way of checking the family's movements. No I haven't checked catchment areas, so I will do that.

Thank you

Lesley

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Mrs P. Peter Goodey has suggested I check the catchment areas to find a likely school name, so I will do that and follow up with newspapers as you suggest. Not something I've used before, so I will have to go and find out what sites to try.

Thanks

Lesley