Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Thank you so very much. I am thrilled.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by KayeCrett View Post
    I haven't had much luck in the census'. (But that's not unusual).
    Emma mar John ANGELL 6 Mar 1855 in Adelaide, South Australia.
    She arrived Adelaide, SA 25 Dec 1853 on 'Epaminondas'.
    I also claimed the death of John Wellings in 1876 Marylebone as John, the father of Emma and her possible siblings.
    Kaye, it would be a lot easier if you answered all the questions at the same time.
    So what details does it give on Emma's marriage certificate about her and her father? Everything is wanted - names, ages, occupations, birthplaces, etc etc.
    And what details does Emma's death certificate give?
    You must have got Shoreditch from some document.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by KayeCrett View Post
    Thank you so very much. I am thrilled.
    don't get too thrilled. Emma WELLING is on the 1841 cenus at Bethnal Green with siblings Eliza & Jane and parents Joseph WELLING & Elizabeth

HO107 - Piece 693 - Folio 29 - Page 19

correction - I assume parents Joseph & Elizabeth

1861 census as transcribed on FamilySearch

RG09 - Piece 248 - Folio 5 - Page 8

Joseph WALLING age 51 born Shoreditch
    Elizabeth, wife, age 52 born Shoreditch
    Joseph, son, age 19 born Shoreditch
    Rebecca, daughter, age 17 born Shoreditch

janbooth

The actual baptism for Emma shows that she was baptised on 27 January 1833 (born 14 Oct 1832) at Shoreditch St Leonard daughter of John & Elizabeth WELLINGS, Hackney Road, Carpenter. However, I think perhaps the incumbent should have put Joseph as the father. Eliza WELLINGS' baptism is at St Leonard Shoreditch on 9 March 1836 (born 25 Jan 1835) and her parents are shown as Joseph & Elizabeth, Hackney Road, Carpenter.

1851 census of St Leonard Shoreditch (HO107/1538, folio 131, page 21) shows Joseph & Elizabeth living with children Emma, Eliza, Jane, Joseph, Rebecca, Hanna & Alice, he being shown as a Carpenter living at 15 Gloucester Place (Ancestry have him transcribed as WILLING). Joseph & Elizabeth are still living at 15 Gloucester Place in the 1861 census of Shoreditch but there is no daughter Emma living with them in this census.

According to at least one census record, Joseph WELLING was born c1808 at Hoxton & the forename change could be explained by the following baptism at St Leonard Shoreditch on 10 January 1808 (born 1st November) of John Joseph son of John & Rebecca WELLINGS of Colebrook Place.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    don't get too thrilled. Emma WELLING is on the 1841 cenus at Bethnal Green with siblings Eliza & Jane and parents Joseph WELLING & Elizabeth

HO107 - Piece 693 - Folio 29 - Page 19

correction - I assume parents Joseph & Elizabeth
    Don't forget to also assume siblings.

Now, I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm but I am not looking any further until Kaye comes back with further details about how she knows Emma's parents were John and Elizabeth, she came from Shoreditch and can therefore link her with the 1832 baptism on FamilySearch, plus info from Emma's marriage and/or death certificates(s). I've gone down the wrong garden path too many times and wasted a lot of typing time because of not waiting for more details.

ADDED: Just noticed that Janet was braver than me. But Kaye still has to tell us how she gets Emma specifically back to Shoreditch rather than just find a baptism that fits the name and then says 'that must be her' regardless of place.

Pam

janbooth

I promise not to get too carried away, Pam, but it is a darn sight more interesting that dusting & hoovering which I was doing previously - vbg!

Janet

I would agree genealogy is more fun than dusting and hoovering and I'm also giving the housework a miss for today. I'm going out to lunch.

Pam

janbooth

I'm envious. Have a good lunch and enjoy.

Janet

the baptism record for Emma WELLINGS on FamilySearch says it took place at St Leonards, Shoreditch to parents John WELLINGS & Elizabeth. born 14 October 1832, christened 27 January 1833.

Sorry, am I missing the point?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast