Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Women in WW1 & 2

I am trying to trace info on my Grandmother and mother. Really Struggling, everything is coming up for men not women.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi and welcome to the Forum. A few details, like names, ages, what they did and where, will help the Forum help you.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Here goes, unfortunately I don't know a great deal, I have medals that were my grandmothers, the number 2747 is on the rim, with J MACKENZIE, and I can't make out the what comes after that dated 1914 -1918. She spent time in France during WW1.
    My mother was in the RAF or WAAF, during WW2, her name was Roberta (or Robertina) Stewart, date of Birth 06.07.23.

I hope that is enough information at least to point me in the right direction

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Grannia,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Can't help with your grandmother, but your mother's records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.
    For details of how to apply for them see here.

Note that you will also need to send a copy of her death certificate, thirty pounds, and then have patience till the records arrive.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

J MACKENZIE
    What does the "J" stand for?

Janet she was also known as Jessie

Reputation beyond repute

Was she a nurse? Have a look at these...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...t+OR+jessie%29

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Taking Peter's point about nurses, you could also try here www.scarletfinders.co.uk/
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Oddly, there's a medal index card for a 2747 Pte J McKenzie, the problem is that he was in 9 Manchester Regiment... Entered the Balkans on 23 Jul 1915. Had the 15 Star and the Victory and British medals.
    There's also a Pte John McKenzie 15258 Royal Highlanders and then 2747 of the Labour Corps.

Keep note of these two to prevent future confusion.

How many medals do you have? Do they look like the group of 3 medals shown on THIS page (beside where it says "pip, squeak and Wilfred")? Or, if you scroll down, the Territorial Force medal with the yellow and green ribbon.

If they don't look like any of these, can you take a (not too big) photo and upload it? See HERE for a how-to.

If we can identify the medals, it may help us to focus on the correct area.

I did have more medals, but unfortunately they were stolen over 30 years ago, I assumed the J Mackenzie was my grandmother as I had been told she served in France. I only have 2 medals now and the number on the rim of both is 2747, it must be a relative as she did belong to a large family.

Thank you for this information it gives me something to work on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast