Thread: Army B102 form

Default Army B102 form

Hi There,

I have just received my grandfathers service records and am slowly working through them.
    I have a B102 form and under 'postings' I have the entry;
    DRAFT R.O.L.O.L MEF 21.1.46

Can anyone help as to what this may mean? Have tried various search engines but to no avail.

Many Thanks in advance

Elaine

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Elaine, I am no expert but MEF was Middle Eastern Forces in WW2 as far as I am aware. Have you tried googling the date to see if anything happened on that date. Was he in some kind of draft force sent out on that day.

Mrs P

As an example from googling, "On 21st January 1946 The Stirling equipped 295 squadron disbanded at Rivenhall and 190 was re-numbered as 295."

Mrs P

Thank you for your swift reply MrsPoppy.

I will give this a try, am new to this and happy for any suggestions.

I know he spent time in Egypt and my mum said he told her he spent R&R in libyia, he is also mentioned
    in despatches in the London gazette (sourced from this site) but his records don't seem to refer to any of this?

Will keep trying!

Thanks once again

Elaine

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Elaine

The Mention in Despatches will be shown on his Medal Index Card as well as in the London Gazette. A letter would have been sent to his next of kin and he would have received the Mention as a piece of paper at some time. HIs service records should have some entry in them as well.
    What do you actually have on him?
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. We had no idea that he had been Mentioned in Despatches as my Nan never spoke about Grandads time in the Army and we certainly never found any paperwork in reference to this. I stumbled on this site purely by chance and this record has only recently been added which spurred me to apply for his service record.
    Included in these is a B200b statement of service. Under the heading Special Instances of Gallant Behaviour and mentions in Despatches is a stamp, the wording is smudged and not legible but the date is 16 may 1950 which does not tie in with the London Gazette at all so I'm very confused.
    My Grandad joined the TA in 1943 and after training was transferred to the REME where he passed a gun fitters class 3 in 1944, however his records show no mention of having served abroad , Middle East, till 1946 for 8 months before being demobbed. He did appear to move around holding bases ALOT!
    The only thing I remember my Nan saying is that Granddad was away for most of the war and she never saw him till he finished active service.

I am planning a trip to the Imperial War Museum and National Archives to hopefully fill in some blanks.

Elaine

Hi,

just to say I found out it was Lebanon he went to for R&R not Libya!

Thanks

Elaine

Hi Elaine

I hope you get some answers at the National Archives and the War Museum might know what the initials are.

I wonder if the difference in the dates from the Gazette is anything to do with the receipt of his medals or re-issuing of lost medals - grasping at straws...

Mrs P

Hi Mrs P

That could certainly be a consideration. I read on here that they would have had an oak leaf pin to wear on their uniform if they were mentioned in despatches and he was awarded the war medal but sadly my mum does not remember ever seeing them.

I have found out that the draft code I mentioned in the beginning was a code given to all men and equipment that were going to be posted overseas to ensure that everything went onto the same ship and reached the same destination, so I am piecing it together slowly.

Thank you for your help it is really appreciated

Elaine

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Have you searched the London Gazette around that date. The dates noted may not be the actual date of the Gazette. Try a month or two each side, and you have to vary things sometimes, try just surname and service number etc.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.