Default Sergent who should not have been in France.

Story of two brothers. Both joined the 2nd Bn Royal Irish Rifles, as boy bandsmen in the 1890s.

One James John, served right through WW1 as Company Quarter Master Sergeant and died in 1952

The other Peter James (AKN George William) served with the resupply company in Belfast, up to
    medical discharge in 1917 (awarded Silver War Badge) died in 1935, Belfast.

The problem is that Peter James served in Belfast, there is no evidence I can find that he ever served overseas.

Fair enough, however, I have photos that show him with his brother in France.

I'm wondering if as sergeant in the Resupply company, he would have been required to lead resupply troops
    from Belfast to join their Bn in France. In doing so caught up with his brother for photos, and maybe an update
    on conditions etc in trenches - to incorporate in training.

Is this at all likely?

Reputation beyond repute

What is the surname and their service numbers?

Rolt
    James John no 5279 Transferred as no 607800 to the Labour Corps (after 2nd Bn effectively wiped out March 1918. (I have James John complete Service records.

George William AKN Peter James No 5528 - “4th Battalion RIR Services of Regt. ACC:920 Page 197
    5528 Sgt Rolt P, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal presented by Brigadier General G. W. Hacket-Pain, Commanding Northern District, on 14th March 1917.” 

Peter George was discharged 24 Nov 1917, as a Sergent, the reason for discharge being Neuphritis & Debility. 392 .XVI.

Reputation beyond repute

It's a carefully posed studio shot. Is there any possibility that the note about the location or date might be wrong or misleading?

Its always possible. I guess. Not a particularly flash studio, though. Would be in keeping with a set up in the war zone. Also noted the muddy boots, etc. which would be in keeping with the caption.

I have no reason to suppose that the boys were trying to fool their family. I believe this photo was sent to family in Canada.

There is another one earlier that shows similar posed setting, not sure about the men in this photo https://app.box.com/s/xihmo42yv6sts1w4jczgsj0cn2vvkd3v

Thos one was Captioned From Jim with best wishes for the New Year, to Bella Taken in La Berget near Armentier France
    The original photo has two dots at the bottom, one below each seated man - as though flagging them, so the left hand man could also have been George William,
    taken at an earlier time. Why else would a junior rank be seated with at sergeant standing behind him?