Thread: Military puzzle

Sue Broman

Default Military puzzle

I have looked at the military history of William Effingham Goldie but not sure when he was in certain regiments. His record shows in 1918 he was posted to RDC. He served in the Reserve Battalion in Herefordshire and with the 19th Bn "Queens" RWS Regiment. Could someone please help me understand the sequence of when he served in these regiments - particularly the "Queens". He was born in 1866 in Lanarkshire, Scotland. His father was Archibald and mother Isabella Robison. Many thanks and would appreciate the clarification.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

His medal Index Card, medal rolls and service records are on Ancestry.
    His MIC shows he only served with Lanc Fusiliers (regimental number 9711 and renumbered to 240658 in 1917- means he was in a Territorial Battalion)and RDC 86763 during the war. It would be in that order. Medal roll shows 6th Battalion.
    Looks like from his service records WW1 he joined a reserve battalion of the Herts in 1914, before being transferred in 1916.
    He had previous service (before WW1) with-
    Service Start Year: 1885
    Regiment: York & Leicester
    Regimental Number: Y L/1065
    Discharged to a "Chelsea pension". Record on Ancestry/Fold 3 (or probably FMP) and not viewable for me. Rather poor record for it on Ancestry, good luck if you can read all of it. Looks like he left in 1897 after 12 years service.

Lots of damaged records on Ancestry. You just need to go through them.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Sue Broman

Many thanks Robert. Could I please ask what "Discharged to a Chelsea pension" means. Was he eligible to become a Chelsea pensioner? I agree about the quality of the records on Ancestry.

Regards

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Was he eligible to become a Chelsea pensioner?
    All army pensions were administered by the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. There were both in-pensioners and out-pensioners (the vast majority).

I agree about the quality of the records on Ancestry.
    Records were damaged in the WW2 blitz.