Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SANTILLA Family

Starting to feel at home

Default SANTILLA Family

Gaetano SANTILLA, hairdresser, m Dinah CHADWICK 8 Feb 1828 Bethnel Green. He died pre 1838. She died 21 Jun 1853 Poplar. They had 7 children, the first, my ancestor, John was born Manchester, which is where I believe Dinah originated from. The next 5 children were born either Stepney, Poplar or Limehouse and the last Joseph, Manchester. I cannot find origins of Gaetano, presumed Italian, nor Dinah. Any help much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dundee10

The 1851 census says that Dinah was born in Staffordshire - Cotton, I think.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGNJ-F3K

Piece: 1556; Folio: 159; Page: 31

FMP has a possible baptism, 1797 at Audley, St James the Great, Staffordshire.

London Gazette
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...8995/page/2546

Col 1 - third entry.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

I wonder if Gaetano had been married previously. There is a marriage at St Botolph Aldgate on 26 June 1817 between a Gaetano SANTELLA & an Eleanor HALL and to me his signature on this marriage record looks very similar to that on his marriage record to Dinah CHADWICK at St Matthew, Bethnal Green. Not that I have found a death/burial record for an Eleanor SANTELLA or variants before what would be his second marriage. It is interesting that two of their children baptised at St Dunstan, Stepney, were born before he and Dinah married, namely John born 25 March 1823 & Mary Anne born 11 June 1825.

I also cannot find a death/burial record for Gaetano himself - so far.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

I never thought of a previous marriage. The one you discovered is quite likely. After all, how many Gaetano Santilla's would there have been (in London in that period)? Thank you so much for you time and effort. Very much appreciated.

There is a marriage at St Botolph Aldgate on 26 June 1817 between a Gaetano SANTELLA & an Eleanor HALL and to me his signature on this marriage record looks very similar to that on his marriage record to Dinah CHADWICK at St Matthew, Bethnal Green
    I agree, Janet, too similar to not be the same person.
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

Kaye
    Janet is doing sterling work for you! Her findings imply that Dinah was not the mother of John who you say is your ancestor. Also the birthplace is different.

Could you please provide full information on this family, indicating sources. For example what is your source for John's mother being Dinah and for him being born in Manchester?

Kaye, you probably do know, but I'm mentioning just in case...............are you aware of the circumstances of the sad demise of Susan, wife of John (born 1823) ?
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

Could you please provide full information on this family, indicating sources. For example what is your source for John's mother being Dinah and for him being born in Manchester?
    I didn't word that very well. Sorry. What I mean is that we need to know this information so that we can evaluate what we're finding out now (or what Janet's finding out!) in the light of what you have picked up from other sources.

In other words we need to put the jigsaw puzzle together.

Johns baptism, I cannot find anything which suggests he was born in Manchester.

Stepney St Dunstan and All Saints
    John Saintalla, Baptised, 7 Aug 1825, born 25th Mar 1823.
    Father Gaetano Saintalla, Mother Diana Saintalla
    Stepney St Dunstan and All Saints
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast