Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SANTILLA Family

Unsure what records you have, Kaye, so think it worth posting what is found. There's some 'interesting' spellings!

George Sentlla [sic], Age: 3, Buried 11 Oct 1835, All Saints, Poplar, England
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Peter, I agree. I cannot believe the help people are so willing to provide. Sad to say, I was handed the information almost 40 years ago which was all hearsay. So, sadly no sources. Obviously errors there may have been.
    Last edited by KayeCrett; 11-03-2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Further explanation needed.

Starting to feel at home

I had George bap 24th Feb 1833 St Anne, Limehouse but no burial. Thank you so much.

Starting to feel at home

Yes, it was tragic. The Deniliquin, NSW local paper covered it in a very detailed manner. Thank you.

Starting to feel at home

My error, dates correct, place not so. Thank you again.

This record suggests Gaetano served in the Royal Marines.
    There was a Pietro Santilla(o) living in Hampshire or Devon (can't remember which) who was a British Merchant Seaman, he was born Aug 1796 in Palermo. Perhaps he and Gaetano were brothers. I do know Gaetano is mostly a southern Italian name.

This surname map tells us there's no name Santilla, but there is Santillo and most are in the Campania region.
    https://www.italianames.com/italian-l...-maps/SANTILLO
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Many years ago a descendant of Pietro's contacted me but at that time records weren't as good as now (and I was a newbie) and we couldn't connect the two. Thank you for the map, so interesting. I am going to Italy (and other Mediterranean ports, then London) next month but I won't have time for research there sadly.
    The early children were not illegitimate after all. Why would a couple marry twice, I wonder?????
    Last edited by KayeCrett; 11-03-2017 at 6:31 AM. Reason: An afterthought occurred to me.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by KayeCrett View Post
    The early children were not illegitimate after all. Why would a couple marry twice, I wonder?????
    I think you have misunderstood. Gaetano was married to someone else in 1817, an Eleanor HALL. Perhaps she died or her whereabouts unknown by 1828 when he remarried, though he is recorded as a bachelor not a widower.

Hi Dundee, Kaye is referring to the national archives record for Gaetano's son, John, which states: Parents married at Moorfields Chapel in March 1822 and later at Bethnal Green Church. Siblings Mary Ann, Frances, and a 4-day-old infant, unnamed. Father served in the Royal Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    I think you have misunderstood. Gaetano was married to someone else in 1817, an Eleanor HALL. Perhaps she died or her whereabouts unknown by 1828 when he remarried, though he is recorded as a bachelor not a widower.
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast