Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    hilarykellis

Default David Newton - multiple wives at same time?

Hi all,

I am confused by my ancestor, Davey or David Newton. As far as I know, he is the father of Louisa Newton b. 1820 in the Lee, Buckingham. Louisa's baptismal record states parents David and Mary and she appears to have multiple siblings. I found a marriage for David Newton and Mary Wooten in Lee on 15 Dec 1818, which adds up.

I was looking for David's death and found this: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...PIpi=102391481 and have no idea if it's him. He was born, according to census records, in about 1784 and his last census is in 1871. I cannot find David or Louisa in the 1841 census.

Online, public family trees have David marrying a Phillis Carter in Holborn, Middlesex in 1816 and having multiple children with her, and have her dying in 1852 - but also have David marrying Mary - which would be bigamy, no? They also have David's parents alternately as John Newton and Elizabeth Parsons and as William Newton and Rebecca Parratt, which is what I had (and that he was baptised in 1786 in Lee as Davey).

So what is going on? Who is Phillis Carter? They have her in 1851 with her daughter Charlotte....

And David is living at the same time with his son as a pauper and they have a 22 year old "housekeeper" - how is that possible for a pauper? And where is everyone in 1841?

So many questions unanswered - any help is appreciated.

Hi
    Be very wary of using information from a lot of online trees. To understate it, they can have the wrong information because they have not done the rigorous research and are inclined to accept any hints as gospel.
    I see that in the 1851 census David's son James is age 26 living with his father and the 'housekeeper' Lucy Bishop age 22. Housekeeper can be a euphemism for a woman not legally married to a male in the household. Lucy Bishop may have shared the accommodation but not be paid a wage. She may well not have been involved with either of the men and just wanted to make clear her position in the household. Have you followed James to see who he married?
    So look at the information you have found, decide which is fact and then put anything else to one side as a maybe or a complete flight of fancy. Do write down the source of any information you find.
    I wonder where they are in 1841?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

FreeBMD
    Death
    David Newton Sept 1/4 1878 age 98 registration district Aylesbury (which includes Cholesbury) He was living with his son James in Colesbury in 1871. Ordering the death certificate would give the informants name which could be James.

In the 1871 census it says that David had been blind for 20 years. The photographs on Find A Grave seem to tally with that.

Christina
    William Burroughs

1871 census
    RG10 Piece 1413 Folio 81 Page 16
    James Newton Head Widower 47 Cholesbury, Buckinghamshire
    David Newton Father Widower 88 Lee, Buckinghamshire
    Sophia Newton Daughter 17 Housekeeper Cholesbury, Buckinghamshire
    Sophia would be keeping house for her father and grandfather.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Be very wary of using information from a lot of online trees. To understate it, they can have the wrong information because they have not done the rigorous research and are inclined to accept any hints as gospel.
    Please take heed of Christina's advice. All too many people are lazy researchers and take any hint as fact and wilfully copy from others trees.

I've started to try and make sense of your query, not easy Looking at the 1851 censuses for David and Phyllis, Phyllis is described as married, David I think too but it's difficult to be certain as the 'condition' column has a blob over the word.

David has a son with him in 1851, born approx. 1825. There's a baptism for James Newton 23rd Jan 1825, Cholesbury, parents David and Phyllis.

Louisa Newton was baptised in Lee on 24 Apr 1820, parents David and Mary.
    A David and Mary were also having children in Wendover between 1822 - 28.

Looking at the evidence collected so far I think there's at least two, possibly three David Newton's in the Aylesbury area. Another pairing is David Newton and Phoebe having children in the 1830's in Wendover.
    Alma

This looks like James in 1841, he's a male servant aged 15, in Choulesbury. HO107; Piece: 49; Book: 4; Enumeration District: 4; Page: 1;
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

From BucksFHS - The Lee, Transcripts CD.

Marriage - 13 Jun 1782. by Banns.
    Davey(x)NEWTON of The Lee.
    Hannah(x)FRANKLIN of The Lee.
    Witnesses - John Newton Faney Burch.

Baptism - 25 Sep 1782. John son of Davey & Hannah NEWTON.
    Baptism - 3 Apr 1785. Elizabeth daughter of Davey & Hannah NEWTON.
    Baptism 28 Feb 1791. Jane daughter of David & Hannah NEWTON
    Baptism 7 Jul 1793 Henry son of David & Hannah NEWTON
    Baptism 25 May 1796. Davey son of David & Hannah NEWTON

Burial - 11 Nov 1830. Hannah NEWTON aged 69 of Lee.
    Burial 13 Dec 1840. David NEWTON aged 86 of Lee

Marriage - 15 Dec 1818. by Banns
    David X NEWTON, Bachelor of Wendover.
    Mary WOOTEN, Spinster otp
    Witnesses - John Barnes & John Burch.

Baptism- 24 Apr 1820. Louisa, daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Lee, Labourer.
    Burial - 11 Jun 1828. Mary NEWTON aged 35 of Wendover.

Baptism - 8 Aug 1784. Davey son of William & Rebecca NEWTON.
    Burial - 6 Jan 1828. Rebecca NEWTON aged 7? of Lee. (Could be mother of David, wife of William). aged 72 would be about right.
    Burial - 23 Aug 1840 William NEWTON aged 93 of Amersham Union Workhouse.

BucksFHS - Wendover Transcripts. CD.

Baptism 11 Aug 1822 Charlotte daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer.
    Baptism 9 Jan 1825 William son of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer
    Baptism 9 May 1828 Jane daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer

Marriage 22 Oct 1832 by Banns
    David(x)NEWTON, Widower otp
    Phoebe(x)CHANDLER, Spinster otp
    Witnesses - Sophia X Keen, James X Taylor, John Franklin.

Baptism 14 Jun 1833 Sophia daughter of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer
    Baptism 28 Dec 1834 Caroline daughter of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labour
    Baptism 17 Jan 1836 David son of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer

Burial 4 Jan 1835 Caroline NEWTON aged 5w of Wendover
    Burial 31 Jul 1833 Sophia NEWTON aged 6m of Wendover
    Burial 23 Jun 1847 Phoebe NEWTON aged 46 of Wendover.
    Burial 7 Nov 1835 David NEWTON aged 40 of Wendover.

Marriage 19 Mar 1859 by Banns
    David X NEWTON, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of David Newton, Labourer
    Hannah NEWTON, aged FA, Spinster of Great Missenden, Plaiter daughter of Joseph Newton, Labourer
    Witnesses John Plested Thomas Walker

Hope this answers some questions. If you need any more look ups in Wendover or The Lee, please ask.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

A David Newton was buried 7th Nov 1835 in Wendover.

Also a David Newton death registered Amersham Oct - Dec 1840.

I'm a bit late with the info, just been reading through what Steve has posted.

Wonderful info, Steve Well done, I can leave this now and go try and sleep
    Alma

Hmmm. There is a christening of a Sophia Newton born 6 Jan 1822 baptized 23 Jan 1825 at Cholesbury,f ather David, mother Phyllis. David's son James has a daughter Sophia born c1834 so the name is in the family but we are now back to a David with a Phyllis.
    Christina

I am way behind the times because I left this to clean up after pulling out bathroom wall linings.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

1841 census.

Phebe Newton
    Born abt 1801
    Born -Buckinghamshire.
    Civil Parish - Wendover
    Hundred - Aylesbury
    Buckinghamshire.

Address- Lee Common.

Reg.dist. -Wycombe
    Sub-reg dist. Wendover
    Piece-43. Book - 4. .Folio -6. .Page-6

Phebe Newton 40
    William Newton 20. Bucks
    Mary Newton 14, Bucks.
    David Newton 5 n.b.i.c.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast